Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The WSL Improvements In The Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Phoronix: The WSL Improvements In The Windows 10 October 2018 Update

While sadly there aren't any major I/O performance improvements to note for the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) with the recent Windows 10 October 2018 Update, there are a number of other new WSL features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The update is not yet officially out. At best it's a release candidate, or a so-called "insider build", yet the article doesn't state this.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      The update is not yet officially out. At best it's a release candidate, or a so-called "insider build", yet the article doesn't state this.
      If you want to nitpick, at least do it accurately. It's been released already. But then it was pulled. The updated build has not been released yet.

But I'm already using 1809, and have been for a month. Without being an insider. And I'm so glad I am, because there's so many great improvements. The latest little surprise was receiving a notification that my BT keyboard's battery will soon discharge. So instead of it just stopping working and becoming useless for the rest of day, as per usual, I could take them out before sleep and charge them during the night. Just many nice little things that eventually add up.

Comment

It's with this update too that Notepad finally supports Unix line endings
        I can finally foresee a horde of Linux sysadmins, developers and enthusiasts ditch their preferred distro and boot WLS instead only to be able to edit files with Notepad. Surely that's THE ONE NOTEPAD FEATURE everyone was craving after. What a lucky day!

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I can finally foresee a horde of Linux sysadmins, developers and enthusiasts ditch their preferred distro and boot WLS instead only to be able to edit files with Notepad. Surely that's THE ONE NOTEPAD FEATURE everyone was craving after. What a lucky day!
          It'll certainly help my mother when she forgets to set CRLF line-endings before sending a .txt file to a Windows-using friend. (I got her into using Leafpad as a quicker-starting alternative to using LibreOffice for random note-taking.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            It'll certainly help my mother when she forgets to set CRLF line-endings before sending a .txt file to a Windows-using friend.
            friend doesn't have wordpad?

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              That recent WSL work includes adding the pay-for WLInux distribution to the Microsoft Store

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                friend doesn't have wordpad?
                Her friends are mostly retired artists. If it's fancier than double-clicking the file, it's too fancy for them.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                  Surely that's THE ONE NOTEPAD FEATURE everyone was craving after.
                  Probably one of two, the other being an undo/redo history with more than one entry.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post

Probably one of two, the other being an undo/redo history with more than one entry.
                    Most of us here are sysadmins or developers (or both), so I assume it's quite normal we often don't get jokes, but I was being sarcastic. My whole post meant Notepad lacks literaly hundreds of features to be relevant to *nix users that this single feature won't change the game at all.

Before this feature I used to double click a unix .txt file on Windows, only to see Notepad fire up showing a nice garbled file and make me shut it down immediately.
                    After this feature I will shut it down anyway, because I can't reasonably edit anything with Notepad. Though I have to admit it is now usable as a very basic read only viewer at least, but it lacks a number of features in this case too.

This feature alone will probably make me waste some more time in trying to do anything with Notepad, only to realize I need a real editor and start over with something else. And if the other missing features will come at the same pace (35 years for this one), I suspect it will never be useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X