macOS 10.14 Mojave vs. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS vs. Clear Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• macOS 10.14 Mojave vs. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS vs. Clear Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: macOS 10.14 Mojave vs. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS vs. Clear Linux Benchmarks

With macOS Mojave having been released earlier this week, I've been benchmarking this latest Apple operating system release on a MacBook Pro compared to Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS with the latest updates as well as Intel's high-performance Clear Linux rolling-release operating systems to see how the performance compares.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Based on these results, Linux workstation makes much more sense.

Comment

If there was a temperature graph alongside some of the performance graphs so that you can see how quickly thermal throttling sets in, that would be nice.

Comment

Ouch. That hurts. I wouldn't like to be one of the apple fanboys claiming mac is the most optimized OS.

Comment

I have a few things to say.

- Is it possible to benchmark SQLite again, but disabling fsync on Linux so it catches the cheater?

- Is it that x264 does not run well on macOS and as such you prefer the (currently) less useful FFmpeg bench?

- https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...AR-FFMPEGFIX43

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
            Ouch. That hurts. I wouldn't like to be one of the apple fanboys claiming mac is the most optimized OS.
            Not that I'd call myself a fan boy but even as a convinced mac user it doesn't hurt. When I actually need compute performance, I just use my Cray

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
              Actually, Micheal was holding it wrong, the results clearly shows it.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Not that I'd call myself a fan boy but even as a convinced mac user it doesn't hurt. When I actually need compute performance, I just use my Cray
                Fancy. Does it comes bundled or you have to buy separately?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Fancy. Does it comes bundled or you have to buy separately?
                  As always, you need an adapter plug . A little hard to carry around compared to my laptop, too (https://www.hlrs.de/systems/cray-xc40-hazel-hen/)

Kidding aside: The tests involving IO are admittedly not that great but beyond that, it is basically a compiler benchmark. Apple LLVM is probably not even based on vanilla LLVM 6 and due to their programming paradigms, it still doesn't support OpenMP. If you actually care about GraphicsMagick etc., fire up brew, get clang 7 or gcc 8, and you're good to go. That works quite well for my code. Additionally, macOS tends to be very power conscious when it comes to scheduling. At least in the past, the battery benchmarks seemed to indicate this. All in all, the OS simply isn't made for raw throughput.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

As always, you need an adapter plug . A little hard to carry around compared to my laptop, too (https://www.hlrs.de/systems/cray-xc40-hazel-hen/)

Kidding aside: The tests involving IO are admittedly not that great but beyond that, it is basically a compiler benchmark. Apple LLVM is probably not even based on vanilla LLVM 6 and due to their programming paradigms, it still doesn't support OpenMP. If you actually care about GraphicsMagick etc., fire up brew, get clang 7 or gcc 8, and you're good to go. That works quite well for my code. Additionally, macOS tends to be very power conscious when it comes to scheduling. At least in the past, the battery benchmarks seemed to indicate this. All in all, the OS simply isn't made for raw throughput.
                    A last you can put those on your bedroom. Put your mattress above them and boom, Cray for the masses.

People like to make fun of Apple and their dongles, but my Thinkpad T430 needs those too for make that stupid mini-DP in something useful, not counting the atrocious USB3 ports too recessed on the chassis, making almost impossible to use fatter, high performance flashdrives.

Comment

Working...
                    X