macOS 10.14 Mojave vs. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS vs. Clear Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Because on each OS most users/developers rely upon the default toolchain... But there are also a number of tests here where that toolchain doesn't come into play anyhow from Go to Perl to Python to PHP, etc.
    Most users use pre built Binaries.
    They don't compile their software (This is a bad habit, in my opinion, of Linux eco system).

When you say "OS Comparison" someone expect the test tool to have the highest sensitivity to the OS itself.
    But the way you create those test they are most sensitive to compiler used.
    There is no problem using GCC on all systems so I think this is what should be done.

You can create a new test called "Comparison of Tool Chains" and do what you do above as it is more appropriate naming.

Comment

I do not want to bash people preferences, but considering where we are right now, the Macbook Air was the worst thing that happened on the laptop market, affecting including the once fine Macbook Pro. The Air not only promoted, for a usability point of view, a impractical design, but because it was successful, it dragged the entire industry into a crazy race of slim designs, removing useful features in exchange of looks.

One thing that most people associates, is that thickness = weight. That is not true at all. You can have a thicker and light machine at the same time. Just to take the 10 years ago Macbook Air launch as example, at the time Toshiba made a laptop that had more ports, including a DVD driver, in a machine that was actually lighter than the Air. Did it looked as cool? Nope.

And there is the usefulness of being thinner. Does it make easier to carry? Nope, you have to apply force with your fingertips to properly hold it, because the Air is thinner that the curvature of your fingers, while a thicker but equally light laptop did not require that. The space gain inside a bag or backpack? Meaningless.

In the end, if manufacturers applied 5 mm more thickness in today's designs, laptops would have less problems with throttling, bigger batteries, descent travel keyboards, full-size ports without stupid adapters, etc. And if they want to mask the thickness, the traditional curve on the edges would do the trick.
      Last edited by M@GOid; 28 September 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I thought MacOS was supposed to be "heavily optimised" for its hardware. All we need to do know is figure out what secret sauce Apple has used to make Final Cut Pro, and copy it to Kdenlive and Openshot and there will be no reason to use MacOS over GNU/Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by OMTDesign View Post
          I thought MacOS was supposed to be "heavily optimised" for its hardware. All we need to do know is figure out what secret sauce Apple has used to make Final Cut Pro, and copy it to Kdenlive and Openshot and there will be no reason to use MacOS over GNU/Linux.
          I respectfully disagree

Comment

Working...
          X