macOS Mojave Released With Dark Mode, Redesigned App Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    ... almost everyone is likely to leave the Apple userbase soon, thanks to their massive vendor lock-ins and the like...
    Yeah right, dream on. As if ensuring its products are heavily vendor locked-in ever prevented a company from succeeding in the tech industry.

Originally posted by sheldonl
    As someone who just converted to MacOS after being on Linux since 1998, I can tell you that it is most certainly *not* easy to use.
    And its file manager is probably one of the most useless ones out of all the major desktop environments.

Comment

It looks gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        From time to time I try to use dark themes, but always turn back because they forgot to tell the Web about it. Phoronix website, like 99.9% of other sites, is mostly white. When you spend a couple minutes using a dark theme on your GUI and you open a browser, websites with white backgrounds will slap your eyes and make you regret really fast.
        You could use a browser extension to make websites dark. I use this but there are others: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-webextension/

Comment

So apparently they totally removed text sub-pixel anti-aliasing. Both for Retina and regular display. I feel we will hear about that.

Comment

Originally posted by karasu View Post
            So apparently they totally removed text sub-pixel anti-aliasing. Both for Retina and regular display. I feel we will hear about that.
            Font rendering on mac is blurry mess for years. I don't think users will give a damn for making it look even worse

Comment

Typo in the article name:
              http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=macOS-Mojava-Released

The desert as default background will make so much sense in a couple of years, since almost everyone is likely to leave the Apple userbase soon, thanks to their massive vendor lock-ins and the like...
              FYI: they have been doing this in the last decade and nothing really major happened. Their computer marketshare is decently stable, and hardware sales are still rising (while everyone else's are dropping).

I don't see anything happening in the future of iOS too, they would need to really do something really spectacularly wrong at this point. Something like hijacking some ICBM silos and launching them at the white house, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
                It looks gorgeous.
                I would have said it looked like GNOME, but maybe it's only me.

Comment

[...]thanks to their massive vendor lock-ins and the like...
                  From experience: "people" will still happily buy them paying the premium money required and without even realising what you talking about.. it's a fashion statement and the lock-in make them perhaps feel like part of an exclusive club. Not sure about the professionals using it but I guess an hi-polished toy/UI must be still very attractive to some
                  I wish Gnome to show them boldly how to do better without the price of leaving us without any changeable setting (let's call it lock-out?)
                  Last edited by horizonbrave; 24 September 2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    I would have said it looked like GNOME, but maybe it's only me.
                    A little bit because gnome-shell's design (including cantarell fonts) was a bit inspired by OSX's interface but not entirely. Also macOS has the global menu toolbar. I'm not trying to offend Linux desktop so don't get too sensitive here. I only stated that I find macOS desktop to be very beautiful.

Comment

Always felt that the Finder since macOS 10.5 has been trying to do way too many things at once with way too much bling.

As far as graphical file managers are concerned, I still consider Windows' Explorer to be the best, hands down. Why is it that no file manager on macOS and Linux have the ability to view a directory tree on the left panel like how Explorer does it? Finder can't do it, Nautilus can't do it and Dolphin definitely can't do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X