Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE4 Being Dropped From FreeBSD At The End Of The Year

Phoronix: KDE4 Being Dropped From FreeBSD At The End Of The Year

With KDE4 not having seen an upstream release in years and the old KDE4 code beginning to break under newer C++ compilers, the KDE-FreeBSD team has announced a four-month deprecation period after which they are dropping the KDE4 ports from the operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought KDE 4 was a bloated monstrosity like Gnome 3 so I have no problem with this at all

Though I can't help but think that the breakage of code is due to that MOC crud that Qt tends to use rather than standard C++ itself.
    After all, at work we have large C++ projects much older than KDE 4 that still compiles with zero issues.

Comment

There's now x11/plasma5-plasma-desktop available in FreeBSD ports, dropping KDE4 makes sense, because most users would choose Plasma5 over KDE4. Less stuff to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        I thought KDE 4 was a bloated monstrosity like Gnome 3 so I have no problem with this at all

Though I can't help but think that the breakage of code is due to that MOC crud that Qt tends to use rather than standard C++ itself.
        After all, at work we have large C++ projects much older than KDE 4 that still compiles with zero issues.
        Don't you dare speak ill of the holy, flawless Qt toolkit!!!!!!!

Comment

Oops, misread that. Carry on!

Comment

Working...
          X