Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS 0.4.10 Release Candidate Available

Phoronix: ReactOS 0.4.10 Release Candidate Available

It's just been over one month since the release of ReactOS 0.4.9 while the next version is beginning to formulate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if anyone would use a distro that boots ReactOS via KVM by default. Running typical Linux/DE (host) in display-server 1 and ReactOS in standalone display-server 2 exposed via something like spice client. Switching between sessions(operating systems) with something like ctrl+alt+F7,F8. It's quite similar to what I am doing on my gaming system (with Fedora 28 and Windows 10 Pro). Just a open source equivalent for people to play around with or help test I guess. ReactOS by itself still at this stage does not sound very appealing to me.

PS: I tried adding macOS Mavericks just for the lols and was kind of surprised at how easy it was to run it in KVM. I did not use any 3D acceleration though.

Comment

Slowly it will be better than the original Windows...

Comment

Doesn't Linux with Wine already have more advanced support for Windows applications and games than ReactOS?

Just grab a Windows GTK and Icon theme from the Boomerang project, do a little tinkering and then you'll have a more compatible and accurate looking Windows replacement than ReactOS.

We could not find the page you asked for. Check for errors in the address you entered
        Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 30 August 2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Like this post if you think that within 5 years you will be able to do the following with ReactOS:
          • Run it on a popular, high end, 2018 desktop, CPU and motherboard combo.
          • Have working sound by installing the official Windows 7 sound drivers for the motherboard.
          • Run it with an NVIDIA GTX 1080 graphics card and install the latest (as of today) Windows 7 NVIDIA graphics drivers.
          • Install Steam.
          • Run Grand Theft Auto 5 at 60fps or greater (on average).

Comment

Like this post if you think that sometime between 5 and 10 years from now you will be able to do the following with ReactOS: (same bullet points as before)
            • Have working sound by installing the official Windows 7 sound drivers for the motherboard.
            • Run it with an NVIDIA GTX 1080 graphics card and install the latest (as of today) Windows 7 NVIDIA graphics drivers.
            • Install Steam.

Comment

Like this post if you think that you will never be able to do the following with ReactOS: (same bullet points as before)
              • Install Steam.

Comment

I think you'll be stuck in 32bit and that doesn't have a GTX 1080 driver?

At worst it's stuck at XP/2003 level. This is where we have more legacy needs (e.g. : running scanner driver)

Maybe they'll go XP/2003 64bit before attempting Vista/7. This could be horribly complex and take a lot of time (and make it a blue-screening toy again). I imagine it would branch out to an NT 5.x branch and an NT 6.x branch or there'd be two builds.

Funny would be if we can fully enable PAE and use 8GB RAM on 32bit. You can have 8GB on systems fully supported by XP, such as the Core2Duo and Athlon II / Phenom II era. An old driver will bluescreen you but maybe AMD/Intel/Nvidia/Realtek stuff behaves. It does work on Linux 32bit you really have your full RAM.
                Last edited by grok; 30 August 2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  Doesn't Linux with Wine already have more advanced support for Windows applications and games than ReactOS?
                  Sorry Bro, but ReactOS already runs Caligari TrueSpace and 3D Studio Max better than WINE does. Mostly because it actually handles drawing the windows properly. WINE will never be as compatible as ReactOS because WINE has to compromise to be compatible with X11/Unix. ReactOS is free to reimplement the Windows drawing model correctly. ReactOS has fixed bugs that WINE has had for over 10 years which aren't getting fixed anytime soon in WINE. ReactOS seems to be accelerating their development which isn't a huge surprise. It's becoming more useful and I suspect that in 3-5 years it will hit a tipping point where it starts getting serious deployment on home PCs for the people that are paranoid about Microsoft but who can't or don't want to move to Linux or MAC.
                  Last edited by DMJC; 30 August 2018, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                    Like this post if you think that within 5 years you will be able to do the following with ReactOS:
                    I think few people follow it closely enough to have strong opinions about this. However, if it does do those things, then I would use it before ever touching another copy of MS Windows. I currently have Windows 7 on one machine, and I'm definitely not looking forward to the day MS stops publishing security updates for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X