FreeBSD DRM Is Causing A Load Of In-Fighting This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Don't bother arguing or try to convince Guest . He is just a Linux-troll. Where-ever is a relevant topic or thread (usually BSD or Solaris) he is there to spread toxic, sprout false claims and either whine or rant. Just ignore or when his claims are too outlandish, just point out his errors so there's less likeliness some reader not knowing his ways might take him seriously.
    You were proven wrong so many times it's not even funny. Simple example: netflix is running on Linux. Linux server market is much higher than *BSD. True or false?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      Anarchy is much more free than 'democracy'. It allows you to steal everything you want, rape anyone you want and kill whoever you want. Tell the victims they're free. It's all about the code. It's not freedom of some proprietary jerks and their dark minds. 'Anything that's enforced is anti-freedom'. No, it's anti-anarchy. When comes to freedom there are always rules. Period.
      Democracy is tyranny by majority.

You are also free to defend yourself of course, but I never said Anarchy is better.

Explain to me how does licensing something as BSD take away other software? The code author can put whatever the fuck license he wants, it's his code. He can even change the license at any time if he wants to or make it closed source despite it being GPL originally, as long as he wrote all the code or 3rd party code he used allows it. Licensing terms don't apply to the owner, they're a license for others who take it.

You didn't write it, so you aren't entitled to anything.

Licensing something good as BSD is pretty dumb though. I mean people can really fuck you over with it. That's why I prefer the GPL, it's just more practical.
      Last edited by Weasel; 28 August 2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        You were proven wrong so many times it's not even funny. Simple example: netflix is running on Linux. Linux server market is much higher than *BSD. True or false?
        Bah, Netflix's content delivery network is running on FreeBSD, about year old random article for your digestion. I hope it does not cause diarrhea.
        https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/...e-cdb51dda3b99
        n the summer of 2015, the Netflix Open Connect CDN team decided to take on an ambitious project. The goal was to leverage the new 100GbE network interface technology just coming to market in order to be able to serve at 100 Gbps from a single FreeBSD-based Open Connect Appliance (OCA) using NVM Express (NVMe)-based storage.
        About big firms "simply taking and never giving back to BSD because of a "bad license".. from same article..
        A Netflix OCA serves large media files using NGINX via the asynchronous sendfile() system call. (See NGINX and Netflix Contribute New sendfile(2) to FreeBSD). The sendfile() system call fetches the content from disk (unless it is already in memory) one 4 KB page at a time,
        Windows server market share is bigger than Linux's. Latter is mostly used for serving web - thats-why it's so visible. Intranet servers usually run lotsa Windows servers because there's simply no good alternative to MS's enterprise software. Portion not visible from Internet, never appears in any market share graphs. Web servers never have that issue.

So your implication that GPL somehow is the reason for bigger market share is just demagogic load of crap - you are known for this.

You dont like microsoft's proprietary license? Fine. You like freedom? Fine. So, don't come dictate what somebody else, not YOU should use or not. You lack the moral right. Or you aren't yourselves any better than monopolistic enterprises dictating terms.
        Last edited by aht0; 28 August 2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Windows server market share is bigger than Linux's.
          Citation needed.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Citation needed.
            just switch jobs often enough and peek on the kitchen-side of the companies.. Now nitpick on single sentence and produce 4 pages worth of word-foam.

Comment

Now nitpick on single sentence and produce 4 pages worth of word-foam.
              Me?

It's not a nit-pick. The quoted sentence is a big claim that caught me by surprise. I'm curious if there's any supporting evidence for it.

What 4 pages of word-foam are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Me?

It's not a nit-pick. The quoted sentence is a big claim that caught me by surprise. I'm curious if there's any supporting evidence for it.

What 4 pages of word-foam are you referring to?
                But such is usual trolling strategy. They'd pick one argument which is then being dissected by trolls until original post which refuted 95% of the same troll(s) previous claims is simply forgotten. So I give out data as minimally as possible, less troll feed.

If you REALLY are interested, use Google. Hint, look for a Dutch data, statistics about work places with 50 or more employees, what OS'es such companies/organizations used in their servers. It's from May 2017. Windows Server 2008 - 35%, Windows server 2012 -33,9%, Linux - 11.6%, OS/400 - 3,3%, Windows Server 2003 - 3,1%, Windows Server 2016 - 2,3%, Unix - 1,4% (thats average for public domain, multinationals, national enterprises and medium sized businesses combined). Not that hard to find.

Comment

But such is usual trolling strategy. They'd pick one argument which is then being dissected by trolls until original post which refuted 95% of the same troll(s) previous claims is simply forgotten. So I give out data as minimally as possible, less troll feed.
                  I understand. That wasn't my intention though.

If you REALLY are interested, use Google. Hint, look for a Dutch data, statistics about work places with 50 or more employees, what OS'es such companies/organizations used in their servers. It's from May 2017. Windows Server 2008 - 35%, Windows server 2012 -33,9%, Linux - 11.6%, OS/400 - 3,3%, Windows Server 2003 - 3,1%, Windows Server 2016 - 2,3%, Unix - 1,4% (thats average for public domain, multinationals, national enterprises and medium sized businesses combined). Not that hard to find.
                  That really isn't enough to draw any conclusions. You are probably right about these corporate intranet servers, but there are so many other uses of servers beyond that:
                  • Game servers (there must be millions running right now)
                  • Web servers (you mentioned). This probably makes up the majority of servers on earth.
                  • Chat servers (IRC & all the myriad of other chat protocols)
                  • File servers (FTP, BitTorrent seed boxes etc)
                  • 1000s of application-specific servers (eg for DNS, NTP, Steam, Lotus notes type apps, phone apps etc)
                  • Email servers.
                  • Custom home servers.
                  I'm not saying you're wrong, but without seeing data to the contrary, my guess would be that the majority of servers on earth are GNU/Linux.

Comment

I told you, spend a minute searching the Google. I am not going to just hand you everything on a platter.

Except for a home servers, everything you listed falls already under medium-sized servers. Because it's cheaper and more fail-tolerant to rent server space for small companies using cheap or free offers, rather than spending extra for infrastructure and maintenance. Every cent counts.

Comment

It's obvious "freedom" means different things to different people.
                      Themes such as ....
                      privacy, obligation-free stances, personal opinion/ideology pushed through a software license, the wish to communicate knowledge to anybody who is willing to listen or use that knowledge for the sake of prolonging the existence of that knowledde so that it becomes the basis for extra knowledge, etc. ...
                      are aspects of "true" freedom.

Releasing software and letting anybody make as much money as they can with that software with practically no obligations on the receiver of the software is the best freedom model. The releaser of the software has the freedom of conscious to do this with NO SHAME.
                      The receiver/user of the software has the freedom to do what they want with the software, even make LOTS, LOTS, LOTS, .. and LOTS, LOTS, LOTS of money with NO SHAME because the releaser of the software has stipulated that the receiver has the freedom to do this.

FREEDOM can be so COOL.

Even Trump can be a receiver/user of the software and he'll be able to even make extra billions from the software on top of the billions he already has. Like-wise a "garage startup" would have the potential to make millions.

That all folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X