Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD DRM Is Causing A Load Of In-Fighting This Week

Phoronix: FreeBSD DRM Is Causing A Load Of In-Fighting This Week

DRM is causing a lot of vibrant discussions this week on the FreeBSD mailing list... And no, it's not even Digital Rights Management but rather colorful commentary about their Direct Rendering Manager code and plans for FreeBSD 12...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a shame that people who clearly have useful skills are wasting them on such an ungrateful (and totally pointless) project like the BSDs.

Comment

I can't see NVIDIA providing a binary driver for FreeBSD for ever. It is a much better idea to focus on getting open-source drivers working for Intel and AMD. If Nouveau can ever be ported, then that is likely to be the more correct solution in the long run.

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      It's a shame that people who clearly have useful skills are wasting them on such an ungrateful (and totally pointless) project like the BSDs.
      And its a shame people with clearly no useful skills whatsoever spend time on forums trying to dictate what projects other people should be working on rather than learn skills themselves to make a difference in the world. We wouldn't even have computers if anyone listened to people like that. Luckily no-one does.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 26 August 2018, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Really great article & reporting Michael. Very interesting and thought provoking.

It seems to me that making a compatibility layer that allows easy porting of Linux DRM/graphics code is a good idea. That should allow them to stay more up to date and benefit from the 1000s of man-hours that are invested into building and maintain Linux graphics drivers. If the quality of the code in their effort to implement this layer is poor, then it's probably a good idea to hold it back from their next major release. The idea itself seems sound to me.

I'm not a FreeBSD user, so I expect there are other important aspects to this which I have not considered.

Comment

And its a shame people with clearly no useful skills whatsoever spend time on forums trying to dictate what projects other people should be working on rather than learn skills themselves to make a difference in the world. We wouldn't even have computers if anyone listened to people like that. Luckily no-one does.[/QUOTE]

Just checked through *your* posting history. Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
            Just checked through *your* posting history. Well said!
            Really? Thats nice. Then you will see that I am a massive proponent of alternative operating systems! You will also see that I am quite familiar with anti-freedom / anti-BSD trolls

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Really? Thats nice. Then you will see that I am a massive proponent of alternative operating systems! You will also see that I am quite familiar with anti-freedom / anti-BSD trolls
              My troll-senses are tingling with that guy. I think he might literally have said that to try and upset people. He probably feeds off that energy; gets a kick out of it.

Comment

Jesus christ, Michael, you should spend a couple thoughts before you go on to write this garbage. The only guy whining against the graphics team was some non-dev, wannabe Linus troll, whose only (anti-)contribution to FreeBSD is most likely polluting mailing lists. A nobody, a non-person-of-importance. Most of the convo rotates around feeding this troll, arguing about his behavior and not what the initial topic was about.
                Last edited by curfew; 26 August 2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                  Jesus christ, Michael, you should spend a couple thoughts before you go on to write this garbage. The only guy whining against the graphics team was some non-dev, wannabe Linus troll, whose only (anti-)contribution to FreeBSD is most likely polluting mailing lists. A nobody, a non-person-of-importance. Most of the convo rotates around feeding this troll, arguing about his behavior and not what the initial topic was about.
                  He didn't just report on the drama of the situation, he reported on DRM implementation details and on the plan for the next release of FreeBSD. Far from garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

If you're against anti-freedom trolls then you must be anti-BSD as well. BSD trolls support closed source software and it (closed source software) has nothing common with freedom.

Comment

Working...
                    X