Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD Now Runs On The Threadripper 2990WX, Developer Shocked At Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD Now Runs On The Threadripper 2990WX, Developer Shocked At Performance

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD Now Runs On The Threadripper 2990WX, Developer Shocked At Performance

Last week I carried out some tests of BSD vs. Linux on the new 32-core / 64-thread Threadripper 2990WX. I tested FreeBSD 11, FreeBSD 12, and TrueOS -- those benchmarks will be published in the next few days. I tried DragonFlyBSD, but at the time it wouldn't boot with this AMD HEDT processor. But now the latest DragonFlyBSD development kernel can handle the 2990WX and the lead DragonFly developer calls this new processor "a real beast" and is stunned by its performance potential...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It blows away our dual-core Xeon
    I assume that's dual socket, not core?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I didn't report this because it was not written by Michael.

Comment

http://apollo.backplane.com/DFlyMisc/threadripper.txt (this link was mentioned in the article)
        Very interesting findings. You can have cores at better clocks if you use lower memory frequency. I expect this is because memory frequency affects infinty fabric which also consumes power and produces heat so the cores have less power to use. That means that to get the best power efficiency you need to tune for your workload. I think some overclockers will try different memory speeds to get the best results, although it might be that more is more there because they generally don't care about power limits.

Comment

DragonflyBSD is interesting isn´t it. Core performance matters.

I find that to move forward in Unix space, one needs a coherent philosophy, and a deity that decrees Fair Pay. And that is just what Ynnyx Is No Trinity O.S. is about.
          Read also about that here: https://medium.com/@email_46476/ynny...s-4e6d72140ba1

Web: http://www.nyt.cloud

Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
            It does say "dual socket" later in the quoted story, so yeah, I assume "dual core" was an error. Certainly, it wouldn't be very impressive if the 2990WX was only 50% quicker in parallel compiles than a dual-core Xeon.

Comment

yep, pretty happy with my less MONSTERious Ryzen+ build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNvj67PAEc
              Last edited by rene; 21 August 2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

"shocked"

Comment

We already discover there is an world of difference between Windows and Linux performance on Threadripper due to NUMA implementations.
                  I wonder if we can add those for comparison to BSD.

DragonflyBSD spin out of FreeBSD mainly because of SMP ( or something similar I cant remember. )

I wonder how this compare against Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ksec View Post
                    We already discover there is an world of difference between Windows and Linux performance on Threadripper due to NUMA implementations.
                    I wonder if we can add those for comparison to BSD.
                    Not precisely or only because of NUMA but because Windows Server licensing restrictions applying to CPUs with more than 8 cores.

Comment

Working...
                    X