FreeNAS 11.2 Beta Rolls Out With FreeBSD Bootloader, Self-Encrypting Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeNAS 11.2 Beta Rolls Out With FreeBSD Bootloader, Self-Encrypting Drives

Phoronix: FreeNAS 11.2 Beta Rolls Out With FreeBSD Bootloader, Self-Encrypting Drives

The folks at iX Systems have announced their first public beta of FreeNAS 11.2, their downstream of FreeBSD 11.2 focused on supporting network-attached storage (NAS) systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Time too update and hope it doesn't bork anything. While I like FreeNAS it really could use some updates to the plugins it uses. Some are antiquated.

Comment

Very OT: is Rockstor (a BTRFS/Linux/CentOS based nas software alternative) dead? They stopped publishing updates on their blog...
      Even more OT: any of you using both Synology DSM and FreeNAS and wanting to share some opinions?
      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Darknation View Post
        Time too update and hope it doesn't bork anything. While I like FreeNAS it really could use some updates to the plugins it uses. Some are antiquated.
        iocage on the command line works well enough for me, although the software I want to run doesn't have plugins (antiquated or otherwise) anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          Very OT: is Rockstor (a BTRFS/Linux/CentOS based nas software alternative) dead? They stopped publishing updates on their blog...
          Last update to the release iso is a few months ago, so they seem to be still alive.

Even more OT: any of you using both Synology DSM and FreeNAS and wanting to share some opinions?
          Cheers
          apples and oranges. Synology is a great thing for normal users that need a simple interface, and lots of hand holding. It's still a NAS interface.

FreeNAS has a less intuitive interface but it can do so much more, a FreeNAS system is basically a full-blown FreeBSD server with a webinterface.

Comment

Looks like FreeNAS finally recovered from the failed series 10. The Angular interface looks nice.

I was a happy series 9 user. I moved to series 10 after they had already been in beta for at least a year. They had a "tech preview" of sorts. The main reason to move for me was the shift from "plugins" to Docker. Then there was politics, the main developer of series 10 left, and they said there would be no migration path from 10 to 11. I couldn't wait for them to figure it all out, so I moved to CentOS.

While I don't have a nice all-in-one GUI, I have most of the same features.
            Minimal CentOS + OpenZFS + Docker + Portainer + Netdata (with Telegram alerting)

Still... nice job FreeNAS. Looks like a good platform again.
            Last edited by ChamPro; 10 July 2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChamPro View Post
              Minimal CentOS + OpenZFS + Docker + Portainer + Netdata (with Telegram alerting)
              Sounds like a work for Proxmox (Debian derivative).

Comment

Originally posted by ChamPro View Post
                Looks like FreeNAS finally recovered from the failed series 10. The Angular interface looks nice.

I was a happy series 9 user. I moved to series 10 after they had already been in beta for at least a year. They had a "tech preview" of sorts. The main reason to move for me was the shift from "plugins" to Docker. Then there was politics, the main developer of series 10 left, and they said there would be no migration path from 10 to 11. I couldn't wait for them to figure it all out, so I moved to CentOS.

Still... nice job FreeNAS. Looks like a good platform again.
                Yup, I skipped the whole fiasco and went straight from 9 to 11 and it's been a dream. I setup my NAS box a few years back with FreeNAS, and the only things I've ever had to do is install updates from time to time, and replace failed drives. I started out with half Seagate, half WD... the original WDs are all still in there, the Seagates are all dead, along with most of the replacement Seagates, so I've replaced the last couple with WDs. The Seagate supply chain here must be bad/rough.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Sounds like a work for Proxmox (Debian derivative).
                  ProxMox is KVM and LXC. No Docker. Docker is more usable for my purpose.

​​​
                  Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
                  Yup, I skipped the whole fiasco and went straight from 9 to 11 and it's been a dream. I setup my NAS box a few years back with FreeNAS, and the only things I've ever had to do is install updates from time to time, and replace failed drives. I started out with half Seagate, half WD... the original WDs are all still in there, the Seagates are all dead, along with most of the replacement Seagates, so I've replaced the last couple with WDs. The Seagate supply chain here must be bad/rough.
                  I've had a lot of luck with HGST (now part of Western Digital) drives. They were the longest living from Backblaze's drive survey at the time. I had 4 6TB drives and only one has died in the 4+ years.

Comment

Working...
                  X