Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Guix/GuixSD 0.15 Released, Closing In On v1.0

Phoronix: GNU Guix/GuixSD 0.15 Released, Closing In On v1.0

GNU Guix 0.15 is out today as the latest feature update to this transactional package manager and is joined by an updated Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) release too as the GNU Linux-libre distribution built around it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's "Shepherd", not "Shephered".

Comment

• Support for the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) is missing.
      How long can it take to get that basic feature done read here about guixsd soon become 1.0 will lvm support not be there in 1.0? you include 1mio packages including crazy luks shit but no lvm support? Really don't get it.

Sorry I am whining a bit, but I try to be patient for around 1 year or so. It's a bit like gnu hurd only good for virtual machines I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        • Support for the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) is missing.
        How long can it take to get that basic feature done read here about guixsd soon become 1.0 will lvm support not be there in 1.0? you include 1mio packages including crazy luks shit but no lvm support? Really don't get it.

Sorry I am whining a bit, but I try to be patient for around 1 year or so. It's a bit like gnu hurd only good for virtual machines I guess.
        LVM is only used by a third of the Debian user base and considering you'd be dedicating separate hardware for linux-libre, I guess the devs just figured it's not a top priority: https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=lvm2

Incidentally, most of those packages are being packaged by users. That is, folks using GuixSD and Guix who want this library or that app and end up writing and submitting a .scm for it. The core system is developed by a handful of guys.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
          Incidentally, most of those packages are being packaged by users. That is, folks using GuixSD and Guix who want this library or that app and end up writing and submitting a .scm for it. The core system is developed by a handful of guys.
          A few guys can be very much.
          I don't see the amount of users a good argument how much % of users use enlightenment? 0.01%?

I know the argument don't expect anything from opensource its only voluntary work, but I find it not clever to expect people that never used your os to reprogram the whole boot stack just so I can test out the Os if its even worth putting work into it.

It's a bit a henn egg problem for me. I mean there was a bugreport and even somebody started coding a bit, so there was external effort, instead of finishing that, they just closed or ignored that open bug and let it open for surely a year or longer.

I mean if you want nixos become the next GNU/Hurd system that only some folks at universities load in their virtual machines to play around with it. Go ahead, last time I checked GNU had a mission to stop people using nonfree software, and even I use linux I use Guix which is not a adorsed Distro and it installes some nonfree stuff like zfs support.

I mean I complaints 1 time already but kept still and was very very patient because I thought eventually in a few months or maybe 1 year it will be fixed, because its a very very fundamental basic very important feature. Who the fuck uses normal partitions as a linux user, lvm has basically no overhead and its more comfortable so why would you fuck around with old dos partition tables?

Here somebody got it done probably 90-99%:

but they really were not able to get it done since 3 years?

Somebody again asked a year ago:

I am lazzy as fuck but this topps me. How can I trust in a project that can't get such simple things with several people give them code and try to assist them not getting it done.

I mean I would get it if that would be really a small project with a few people, but they fuckin got gnome running, without systemd, that must be 1mio times harder than lvm support, they add every few weeks/months THOUSENDS of new packages.

Sorry for ranting but with that attitude nobody should wonder why linux and free software is where it is. Again I get lazyness and so on and I can't well don't like the phrase expect I can't sue them for not doing it or not rely on it, but I can expect them to do it.

Like I expect that my local foodball team will play in the next sheduled game, but I can't rely on it, as long as they didn't sell any tickets. Even I have no legal right to force them I still as a human can expect it.

Comment

You don't get to tell anyone the things you aren't doing yourself are easy. Implementing changes doesn't rely on your trust, meaning you are not in charge, unless you want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by kingu View Post
              You don't get to tell anyone the things you aren't doing yourself are easy. Implementing changes doesn't rely on your trust, meaning you are not in charge, unless you want to be.
              Well at least that easy that hundreds of linux distros did it before them, if a developer says to me that lvm is now heavy depended on systemd, or something like that and therefor its a huge endevour to get it running I would accept that. But so far I don't see why that should be that hard to do, nixos did it too since forever. it's not like they have thousands of developers, they also only have a hand full of.

Often such things are for core developers a thing they do in 1-2 hours while an outsider that have to start from 0 have to invest 50-200 hours. So it would be retarded to waste so much time.

I find it also not very clever, if I would be able to use it, I might send some bugreports / even small patches or stuff to the project. Which I did for nixos.

Now they filter out people that have a tight budget and can't just buy new ssds for every distro they wanna try. (not to mention that in this itx boards or notebooks there is often no room for more than 1 physical disk.

I can't force em to do this, yes, but I can say that I am disappointed and I don't understand their priorities. Or is that not covered by the famous american free speech?

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                LVM is only used by a third of the Debian user base and considering you'd be dedicating separate hardware for linux-libre, I guess the devs just figured it's not a top priority: https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=lvm2
                Sorry to answer again, but I just read another release note about GuixSD and I had to think on your comment, you argue that 30% of all lvm users is a to small group to be relevant. When I then read that they created NES support for GuixSD, I wonder how much users have that problem and think on guixsd as good distro to use on their NES.

Wordwide maybe 10.000 People or so... I don't know, that's probably a high number. Some museums maybe... I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

Well at least that easy that hundreds of linux distros did it before them, if a developer says to me that lvm is now heavy depended on systemd, or something like that and therefor its a huge endevour to get it running I would accept that. But so far I don't see why that should be that hard to do, nixos did it too since forever. it's not like they have thousands of developers, they also only have a hand full of.

Often such things are for core developers a thing they do in 1-2 hours while an outsider that have to start from 0 have to invest 50-200 hours. So it would be retarded to waste so much time.

I find it also not very clever, if I would be able to use it, I might send some bugreports / even small patches or stuff to the project. Which I did for nixos.

Now they filter out people that have a tight budget and can't just buy new ssds for every distro they wanna try. (not to mention that in this itx boards or notebooks there is often no room for more than 1 physical disk.

I can't force em to do this, yes, but I can say that I am disappointed and I don't understand their priorities. Or is that not covered by the famous american free speech?
                  Your only claim to entitlement is speech, which you used in vain.

Comment

Originally posted by kingu View Post

Your only claim to entitlement is speech, which you used in vain.
                    Are you a SJW when you talk about "entitlement" it sounds like this crazy people.

Comment

Working...
                    X