A Ton Of Wine vs. Windows 10 vs. Linux Direct3D/OpenGL Performance Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    (and no, 60 fps isn't cutting it, for those who think 60 fps at 4k is a great experience; 240 fps at 2k is a much better experience, you do need a high refresh rate monitor but it only has to serve 2k)
    I have 20/20 eyeballs, I benefit from extra image fidelity more then insane framerate, 4k is kinda a win for me. I've tried to go back to 1440p but its just crap! feels poor.
    You're going to be stuck at 2k long past the days of the star trek holodeck if you want 240fps at 4k.. LMAO

240fps at 4k is essentially 5-6x 1080ti's. With Nvidia's release schedule that is sometime in 2050!
    (PS. NVIDIA dictates how fast consumer GPU's will be, and AMD attempts to catch up...)
    Last edited by theriddick; 29 June 2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

I have 20/20 eyeballs, I benefit from extra image fidelity more then insane framerate, 4k is kinda a win for me. I've tried to go back to 1440p but its just crap! feels poor.
      You're going to be stuck at 2k long past the days of the star trek holodeck if you want 240fps at 4k.. LMAO

240fps at 4k is essentially 5-6x 1080ti's. With Nvidia's release schedule that is sometime in 2050!
      (PS. NVIDIA dictates how fast consumer GPU's will be, and AMD attempts to catch up...)
      That's nonsense. R300, R500, R600, R700, Evergreen, NI, SI, and even VI and Hawaii ALL took the very top performance crown. That's the vast majority of GPU hardware generations since like 2004 that were owned by ATi/AMD.

Comment

Either way, NVIDIA currently for the past 2-3 years has set the stage on how fast consumer GPU's are.
        Looking up 9/10 series benchmarks in comparison to AMD kinda speak for themselves.

You can use this site as a general analysis, for example we can compare the 980ti with the 390x (the competitor).

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...radeon-r9-390x

The FURY cards AMD released did not sell well in the market due to their limited VRAM (I've had one and it choked on textures non-stop)

I'm sorry duby229, your previous AMD has fallen from grace for quite a while now because they moved to focus on CPU side of things. We will see if their Vega and Navi 7nm GPU's can give them the comeback they deserve. (for competition sake)

PS. Not saying the RX580 and Vega56 aren't a good buy if you can get them cheap enough or at MSRP. But their target performance is limited, they do not set the overall stage of how fast GPU's are at all. The 1080GTX can be had for the same price as Vega56 here in Australia btw!
        Last edited by theriddick; 29 June 2018, 07:32 PM.

Comment

It looks like D3D9 runs really well through wine, but D3D11 is all over the place. Hopefully Vulkan can help all of these projects that use D3D9/11/12 through wine

Comment

I'd turn down even most (not all) graphics settings from a game to get more fps, and I think that's perfectly sane especially in multiplayer games. A lot of people who don't even know how smooth higher fps is claim it's useless... until they see it on a high freq monitor with high fps game.

At first, you won't notice anything. You'll think it's the exact same as on a 60fps monitor. Then you go back and you feel like your 60fps life has been ruined forever. ijs

Comment

I'm sorry duby229, your previous AMD has fallen from grace for quite a while now because they moved to focus on CPU side of things. We will see if their Vega and Navi 7nm GPU's can give them the comeback they deserve. (for competition sake)

PS. Not saying the RX580 and Vega56 aren't a good buy if you can get them cheap enough or at MSRP. But their target performance is limited, they do not set the overall stage of how fast GPU's are at all. The 1080GTX can be had for the same price as Vega56 here in Australia btw!
              Nope, not at all. The real truth is that nVidia hasn't been in this position since like the GF4 460GTX, like waaaaay back when... In a way it's kinda nice that nVidia finally released a product thats capable of competing for once. I mean they've always released products that were cost competitive and with user friendly driver packages. Although nVidia drivers themselves often fry their own hardware and are rarely stable and are known for performance cheating. Its been a long time since nVidia released hardware that was performance competitive without driver cheats that fry their own hardware. So yeah nVidia's current hardware generation has proven to be a good thing not only for themselves but also for their customers and their end users.

Comment

Working...
              X