No announcement yet.

Wine 3.10 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 vs. Windows 10 Desktop Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you will test games be sure to also test DXVK and the other dx to vk layers as well.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
      Thread synchronization is a huge issue for gaming on wine, and I would assume that this is (part of) the reason for somewhat poor x264 performance on wine as well. A lot of games are basically unplayable with 16 threads on my Ryzen rig but run well with 4, 6 or 8 threads.
      ya, it's a huge problem for proaudio apps, DAWs, etc running in wine.

I haven't been paying attention recently, but is wine defaulting to using reatime scheduling fir time critical threads, or is that still hidden behind an env variable???

even with realtime scheduling I still needed other patches to get certain demanding apps to work properly.

Comment

Ooh, looking forward to the Wine gaming benchmarks. Hopefully we'll see all 3 platforms for multiple games (Ubuntu vs WINE vs Win 10).

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
          Nice. I hope Michael includes DXVK and CSMT-enabled/disabled in the Wine 3D benchmarks.
          Yeah the dxvk-bin dlls are better for my gaming compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
            Thread synchronization is a huge issue for gaming on wine, and I would assume that this is (part of) the reason for somewhat poor x264 performance on wine as well. A lot of games are basically unplayable with 16 threads on my Ryzen rig but run well with 4, 6 or 8 threads.

Didn't expect the file system stuff to be that bad though, especially since it doesn't seem to matter nearly as much in practice as the benchmark shows.
            Yeah for example farcry 3 have troubles with ryzen

And roderick colebrander patch dont be approved for now (this can solve something)

Comment

Of course there can be regressions, but those benchmarks clearly show that wine is not an emulator and that a performance-wise superior underlying system can pass-through its performance even in undesigned-for usecases.

Comment

I think that benchmark design is again bad, why people are using Wine? Its for Photoshop, MS Office and Games, so would be nice to see such benchmarks.. we dont new Linux ports of such software we need Windows vs. Wine on Linux and Wine on Mac for some test case would be nice..

Just for fan try to ad some Android x86 wine benchmarks - to point out, that almost nothing is working in this Wine port. BTW any Android or Android x86 benchmarks would be nice anyway.

Comment

If I had to choose between running a generic application in Wine or natively under Linux, with both performing almost equally, I'd pick Wine. Reason: you can back the app up and use it 5 years from now or even on Windows itself and you only need 1 copy.

Try to use the same Linux app on a different distro if it's not something trivial and you realize why I prefer Wine. Flatpak may change this but it depends how huge the runtime will be for the app.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

2.) ModOrganizer2 for Skyrim SE(DXVK Baby!!!!)(yes it need a bunch of patches): so far I have like 25gb on mods(UHD textures, skse one, etc.) and opening it on Win10 is like 5m-10m on an HDD(my SSD is too full for this so no test there) while on Wine is pretty much a double click and count to 20 again either from SSD or from ZFS
                    Odd, with fallout4 (same thing) and MO2 I need to run a symlink mounter for the files, and it takes 2-3mins to launch with mods while under windows it's like 4seconds. You must have found some new patches I don't know about (haven't touched it for a few weeks now.)

Comment

Impressive.

Comment

Working...
                      X