No announcement yet.

Some Of The Early Ideas For Intel's New FreeBSD Improvement Effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kpedersen Thanks for the answers, some reverse engineering and private keys still remaining to be found. But it's basically dual-booting which is the best of both worlds.

I think Sony might have had a change of heart once failOverflow decided not to publish vulnerabilities and just focus on a Linux port for alternative uses (https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...inevitiability). Also, Sony isn't losing money on it as it was on the PS3. So, a win for ethical hacking, definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazuo-Omura View Post
      And I appreciate you responding like a normal human being instead of the edgy teenage cultist that is the likes of our usual assortment of people who comment here.

I don't pretend to be an expert in these areas, I'm not a developer, but I can read code and understand technical documentation so I'm relatively familiar with the methods by which various OSes work on a certain level.
      And you failed to explain why *BSD does have to have OSS, OSSv4, Alsa and Pulseaudio at once in many cases. That's a mess. It's far worse than your bullshit about Linux sound, but as a hypocrite you're ignoring such obvious fact. You can read code, but you can't read simple comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazuo-Omura View Post
        ALSA's design is as such that multiple inputs and mixing aren't handled efficiently because of the way that Linux's ALSA subsystem exposes the sound hardware. Compared to OSS, it's a design flaw and the reason that Pulseaudio became a popular workaround - Pulse essentially grabs hold of the device and handles mixing in userspace - the main gripes I have with Pulse is that it's a knockoff of Apple's CoreAudio, down to the name. Is it a horrible product? In its early days absolutely. It's better now, but I think that it's still a poor design philosophy (I'm typing this from a Mint Linux install, though, so I do tolerate it.)
        Citation needed. Furthermore, I always thought PulseAudio is needed when drivers or hardware aren't capable of hardware mixing. When come to advantages and disadvantages ALSA is much more advanced:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...tages_over_OSS

Summing up: you have no clue which is typical for *BSD fanboys.

Ps. Do you have anything interesting to say about *BSD real time audio, no?
        Last edited by Guest; 20 June 2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Guest The whole point of ALSA was to have some sort of replacement to OSS due to latter's license change in early 2000's. It was not technically superior at the time to OSS in any real sense. It was ad-hoc solution. Proven by plethora of fixes, workarounds etc happening to ALSA over the years.

Oh, and your link displays
          This article or section is out of date.
          When trying to prove something, at least use up to date facts for arguments.

----
          It should be the guy Phoronix article tells us about

FreeBSD Work (Week #2)
          https://bwidawsk.net/blog/index.php/...d-work-week-2/
          Last edited by aht0; 23 June 2018, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
            Guest The whole point of ALSA was to have some sort of replacement to OSS due to latter's license change in early 2000's. It was not technically superior at the time to OSS in any real sense. It was ad-hoc solution. Proven by plethora of fixes, workarounds etc happening to ALSA over the years.

Oh, and your link displays

When trying to prove something, at least use up to date facts for arguments.
            The whole point is it doesn't matter why it was replaced. What matters is it current state and ALSA is better in many cases. At least I provided you some comparison why some other BSD hypocrite failed to provide a thing.

Comment

You are equalizing OSS implementation from Linux to an implementation of OSS on FreeBSD and comparing the former to an ALSA on Linux. And presenting it all as a beating argument.

Then completely disregard that Linux audio works in userspace through bunch of different software layers, BSD audio subsystem itself works in kernel space without interfering layering. And it's a custom OSS implementation, not quite what you can find in Linux.

FreeBSD supports USB sound cards without problems. I have like 4 different ones bought at random timed. All work under FreeBSD. One of these is a USB 7.1 gaming headset. Haven't seen issues with AC97 integrated cards. Didn't have problem with two Creative Soundblasters I've had. I predict Bluetooth Audio won't work and that will be an issue. At the same time BT Audio could be problematic on Linux as easily. I've never cared about BT (enough EM radiation in daily life without adding to it voluntarily another 2,4GHz EMR source)

Read the following link for getting a slight idea about audio issues with Linux https://musescore.org/en/node/111586

Now.. could we get your shitty Linux-supremacy bigotry stop?
              btw, before you start on other "issues" - Newer Radeon GPUs work on FreeBSD since 11.2-RELEASE - You can skip your prattling about it before making yourself looking even more foolish.
              Wifi AC is in TODO list by Intel devs..

Comment

Working...
              X