TrueOS To Reinvent Itself As New BSD Platform, Downstream Fork Of FreeBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueOS To Reinvent Itself As New BSD Platform, Downstream Fork Of FreeBSD

Phoronix: TrueOS To Reinvent Itself As New BSD Platform, Downstream Fork Of FreeBSD

Going back to when TrueOS was known as PC-BSD, the operating system has generally been known as a desktop-friendly version of FreeBSD that currently ships with its own Qt5-powered Lumina Desktop Environment while also having a server installer, etc. The folks working on TrueOS at iXsystems are now planning to take TrueOS into a new direction...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds like iXsystems going the Fedora-route like Red Hat did back in 2003. In this case with Project Trident being the community distribution, and TrueOS moving to be the basis for their own products, like their storage systems.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see the future of TrueOS. While I'm not a huge fan nor a major user, I do applaud the Lumina DE, if only they could find a way to push QT5 without dbus being pulled as a dependency.

Comment

Again iXsystems has no idea what to do with the old PC-BSD...
        PC-BSD changed from PBI to pkg, then from old AppCafe to a web-based AppCafe, then from Warden to not-defined jail mgr, then from KDE to any DE, then from PC-BSD to a rolling-release TrueOS, now this.
        I hope someday iX will decide what to do with PC-BSD team and if TrueOS will be a commercial desktop OS or never...

Comment

BSD needs better hardware support.
          TrueOS needs a better name and more polish...

Comment

I think they just realized that they cannot maintain a polished functional desktop OS and are wanting to separate it from their main product.
            I don't think the open-source world is going to get a fully satisfactory desktop environment like that found in Windows 2000 for many many years (On Linux or BSD).

FOSS doesn't have our own enterprise ready hardware yet
            FOSS doesn't have our own enterprise ready desktop yet

Man... we suck!

... Oh well.. lets just get back to removing features from Gnome 3
            Last edited by kpedersen; 06 June 2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

What exactly is a "True OS".

I have no fucking clue what the name is supposed to imply.

Is it implying that there are Untrue OSes?

Also, from the article, website and comments it seems like there is no vision or focus just wannabe trendy names.

Why should a person be interested in using this over alternatives? These questions do not have obvious answers at a glance.

Who is this made for? The personal market or the corporate / business market?

What does it do that I can't do on other options.

Does it backup and unfuck the GNU FHS file structure of 3 letter spaghetti names that make no fucking sense?
              Does it get rid of all the extra bullshit options that take hours and days to figure out?
              Does it help me be more productive?
              Or is it just created simply to support the idealism of BSD and freedom.

What is the clear vision.

I just can't figure out the big picture from their point of view.

With projects like OpenBox -- It knows exactly what the fuck it is trying to be, so much so that it has completed development.

I have no problem building hundreds of OS modules in the form of apps, widgets, etc... but they should have a clearly defined simply vision.
              Last edited by ElectricPrism; 06 June 2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                TrueOS needs a better name and more polish...
                True. Whenever I see that name, I always think of "OneTrueOS"....

Comment

Does it backup and unfuck the GNU FHS file structure of 3 letter spaghetti names that make no fucking sense?
                  ^
                  This

We're not in the 70s any more

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    What exactly is a "True OS".

I have no fucking clue what the name is supposed to imply.
                    I bet they copied it from Tru64

Comment

Working...
                    X