X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Vulkan is not faster than OpenGL on Windows, and is actually slower on Linux?

I guess it requires actual programming skill to use instead of hand-holding and the OpenGL drivers are probably optimized af. Most DX12 games also tend to be slower than DX11, which is not the fault of the API, but the game devs who just now realized they need to do more than just plug a few libs together.
    modern opengl is not that different from vulkan. I would like to see native vulkan apps port over to opengl and see whats faster.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    My gosh is OpenGL on macOS absolute garbage. Apple PR makes it seem like it's just the nature of API to suck but really it's their Mac driver's implementation of it that's piss poor.
    Which is probably why they are dropping OpenGL support.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    Quick, lets bash Apple for not supporting:
    - Vulkan
    - modern OpenGL
    This would be perfectly justified.

- directX
    - Wayland
    - whatever
    - insert random Linux related project
    This would not.

I see what you did there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Quick, lets bash Apple for not supporting:
    - Vulkan
    - modern OpenGL
    - directX
    - Wayland
    - whatever
    - insert random Linux related project

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Even if it's only as fast as the alternatives on some platforms, being able to target Windows, macOS and Linux on same Vulkan codebase and get good performance on all platforms is very impressive
    fixed

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    My gosh is OpenGL on macOS absolute garbage. Apple PR makes it seem like it's just the nature of API to suck but really it's their Mac driver's implementation of it that's piss poor.
    They have a long history of shittifying old stuff to make new stuff look better, nothing unexpected here.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

DOTA 2 is something of a special case when it comes to Vulkan. It's essentially a DX9 title that's been ported to everything else, and for that reason it doesn't particularly take advantage of a lot of more recent/advanced features.
    Even if it's only as fast as the alternatives on some platforms, being able to target Windows, macOS and Linux on same Vulkan codebase and get good performance on all platforms sounds impressive

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Would have been good to have seen the directX numbers on windows too

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Vulkan is not faster than OpenGL on Windows, and is actually slower on Linux?

I guess it requires actual programming skill to use instead of hand-holding and the OpenGL drivers are probably optimized af. Most DX12 games also tend to be slower than DX11, which is not the fault of the API, but the game devs who just now realized they need to do more than just plug a few libs together.
    DOTA 2 is something of a special case when it comes to Vulkan. It's essentially a DX9 title that's been ported to everything else, and for that reason it doesn't particularly take advantage of a lot of more recent/advanced features.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Yes, their OpenGL driver has always been slow.
    Check the hundreds of benchmarks all these years in this site and tell me something where OSX is not slow...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X