FreeBSD 11.2 RC1 Brings WoL Support To Newer Intel Systems, Other Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 11.2 RC1 Brings WoL Support To Newer Intel Systems, Other Fixes

Phoronix: FreeBSD 11.2 RC1 Brings WoL Support To Newer Intel Systems, Other Fixes

Ahead of its expected release by month's end, FreeBSD 11.2 is now in the release candidate phase of development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is WoL even relevant in these days of always-connected, cloud computing and low-power ARM devices?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Is WoL even relevant in these days of always-connected, cloud computing and low-power ARM devices?
      I for one rely upon WoL a great deal with having Phoromatic power on/off the systems automatically as needed for benchmarking.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        As long as there are workstations it will be relevant. However it's getting harder to use nowadays at least on Windows. Microsoft decided around Windows 8 that WoL is not needed and it cannot be used unless you turn off Fast Start (which is not critical since SSDs are plenty fast) and install vendor-signed NIC drivers instead of the Microsoft ones. Only then WoL can be turned on via Device Manager (or registry).

I'm pretty sure Apple never supported WoL from S5 (power off) on iMacs but it usually can wake the system from sleep.

Intel AMT can provide remote power control but it's a pain to configure, is slower because it's not using broadcasts and requires special software in order to talk SOAP or WS-Management protocols with the backdo... I mean Intel Remote Management Solution.

Comment

Working...
        X