Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15-Way Linux Distribution / Operating System Comparison, Including Windows 10 & WSL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 15-Way Linux Distribution / Operating System Comparison, Including Windows 10 & WSL

    Phoronix: 15-Way Linux Distribution / Operating System Comparison, Including Windows 10 & WSL

    As part of the large Linux performance tests we have begun and continuing through June with Phoronix celebrating its 14th birthday next week along with the 10th anniversary of the Phoronix Test Suite 1.0 release, for your viewing pleasure today is a 15-way Linux distribution / operating system comparison testing not only the leading and latest Linux distributions but also Windows 10 April 2018 Update and Linux on Windows WSL.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=26361

  • #2
    Typos:

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The updated Solus 3 Linux distribution ahead of Solus 4 provides the Linux 4.1 kernel, Mesa 18.1.0, and GCC 7.3.0 compiler atop EXT4.
    (are you sure it's 4.1?)

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    with this Intel NVme SSD device
    (NVMe)

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    With FFMpeg video
    (FFmpeg)

    Comment


    • #3
      I believe that a comparison without an opinion is somehow incomplete, probably running a test with so many OSs it is hard by itself but I read just a synthetic report.

      In base a this comparison I can say that overall the best distro is Debian because, despite it doesn't receive any tuning like the others distros do, it won in some tests and it had a very good average; and it has a lot of room for tuning and making it the faster...
      Last edited by Danielsan; 05-31-2018, 12:37 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Q: Why Fedora workstation and not Fedora server? In my experience the different base package set makes a measurable difference.

        - Gilboa
        DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX1080, F27/x86_64, Dell UP3216Q 4K.
        SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F27/x86_64, Dell U2711..
        BAK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F27/x86-64.
        LAP: ASUS Strix GL502V, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 1TB+256GB, 1070M, F27/x86_64.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gilboa View Post
          Q: Why Fedora workstation and not Fedora server? In my experience the different base package set makes a measurable difference.

          - Gilboa
          Because the other distros were tested with their desktop state too. This was testing on a Core i9, not a Xeon or EPYC.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
            I believe that a comparison without an opinion is somehow incomplete, probably running a test with so many OSs it is hard by itself but I read just a synthetic report.

            In base a this comparison I can say that overall the best distro is Debian because, despite it doesn't receive any tuning like the others distros do, it won in some tests and it had a very good average; and it has a lot of room for tuning and making it the faster...
            I recapped it at the end but not offering an 'opinion' when there goes more into judging a distribution for use besides just outright performance like licensing / enterprise support, etc etc. And in the end it's up to the user to judge it for themselves with what is most important to them, I am just presenting the data.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Debian should turn testing to main. It is stable and as seen above - faster.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by deant View Post
                Debian should turn testing to main. It is stable and as seen above - faster.
                Get ready for people to ream you out for thinking that way (don't worry, I don't have a problem with what you said).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                  I believe that a comparison without an opinion is somehow incomplete, probably running a test with so many OSs it is hard by itself but I read just a synthetic report.

                  In base a this comparison I can say that overall the best distro is Debian because, despite it doesn't receive any tuning like the others distros do, it won in some tests and it had a very good average; and it has a lot of room for tuning and making it the faster...
                  You could also argue that openSUSE (both versions) and Centos all excelled. They were each run with lower performance file systems, and yet each of them were winning or doing above average in several categories.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by deant View Post
                    Debian should turn testing to main.
                    Don't worry, it will turn after freeze as usual

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X