Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is "neurodiversity"?
    Must be the newest trend, right?
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      What is "neurodiversity"?
      Must be the newest trend, right?
      Actually it's older term that's been around and has somewhat legitimate basis. It comes from a simpler time a decade+ ago where people on the autistic spectrum were asserting their right to live against groups like Autism Speaks who were advocating for eugenics, and has nothing in particular to do with social justice, although it may have been co-opted in the mean time... To put it bluntly someone advocating for neurodiversity is simply someone arguing that Autistic, Dyslexic, and other such individuals should be allowed to live rather than being aborted.
      Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 04 May 2018, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Actually it's older term that's been around and has somewhat legitimate basis. It comes from a simpler time a decade+ ago where people on the autistic spectrum were asserting their right to live against groups like Autism Speaks who were advocating for eugenics, and has nothing in particular to do with social justice, although it may have been co-opted in the mean time... To put it bluntly someone advocating for neurodiversity is simply someone arguing that Autistic, Dyslexic, and other such individuals should be allowed to live rather than being aborted.
        I too remember it was more about "respect" and "no discrimination" back then when it was actually created.

But last time I looked at that it was more like about people with these conditions that don't "need to be cured" because they were "perfect as they are", and "seen as issues or pathologies by oppressive modern society".

I suspect it was ruined by modern-day hippie retards, same as vegetarian (which makes sense and is normally healthy, as it is only about meat, you can still eat eggs and dairy products) which was turned in the bullshit veganism (no animal products at all).

Btw, I strongly suspect that most such issues cannot be detected while abortion is still an option, apart from some few obvious genetic cases like Down syndrome and similar.

Comment

vBullettin is negating my freedom of speech. RIOT!!!!

unapproved post for Luke_Wolf above

Comment

I've come back to KDE after years, and I'm liking it. Did try to switch back at times, but something always stopped it. Plasma finally seems as stable as KDE3. IMO. Good for FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I too remember it was more about "respect" and "no discrimination" back then when it was actually created.

But last time I looked at that it was more like about people with these conditions that don't "need to be cured" because they were "perfect as they are", and "seen as issues or pathologies by oppressive modern society".

I suspect it was ruined by modern-day hippie retards, same as vegetarian (which makes sense and is normally healthy, as it is only about meat, you can still eat eggs and dairy products) which was turned in the bullshit veganism (no animal products at all).

Btw, I strongly suspect that most such issues cannot be detected while abortion is still an option, apart from some few obvious genetic cases like Down syndrome and similar.
              Well... Autism isn't something we should be talking about "curing", which is what the term was created for. The others there's an argument for, but people with either Aspergers or High Functioning Autism which form the mass majority of Autistics out there are of great benefit to society when correctly put to use (which is mostly to say shuttling them into STEM) to the point where there are big tech companies specifically seeking them out and they're perfectly happy and functional being what they are. If we could detect and cure Dyslexia/Dysgraphia/etc and things like Down's Syndrome I would be all on board with that, but I will never agree to killing them.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                It's when it starts to become specific, or worse, SJW bullshit, that it becomes regressive.

I mean really, all their SJW-induced special provisions are already covered by the generic "don't attack personally other members or companies". If someone can't understand the generic rule he gets banned, and good riddance.
                I would like to how a CoC can be regressive if it gets rid of the content and people that the community doesn't want around? Simple question. Clearly the community feels the need for the new CoC or they wouldn't have bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by audi100quattro View Post
                  I would like to how a CoC can be regressive if it gets rid of the content and people that the community doesn't want around? Simple question. Clearly the community feels the need for the new CoC or they wouldn't have bothered.
                  If it was a workplace where every employee would have to sign such an agreement, would you like to work there?

I know I wouldn’t. There are way too many beeping alarms and flashing, blinking red lights signaling a toxic workplace environment. ”We’d love to hire you. Uhh just need you to sign this contract where you promise not to rape or murder anyone”

Comment

CoC? Who cares, this is about technology. We all virtually <3 FreeBSD dev's secretly anyhow.

No really this is good, with Gnome 3 relying on systemd and stuck at version 3.18 the only two good desktops that FreeBSD had that were up to date were XFCE and Mate (yes I'm leaving out Lumina on purpose because it doesn't qualify as good, sorry guys) KDE5 framework gets us Plasma and LXQT to add to the list. Very nice. I will be make install cleaning it.

Desktop projects need to remember that not every OS has a penguin as a mascot and to make sure they remain portable. There is no reason they need Linux specific code most of the time.
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 05 May 2018, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                      If it was a workplace where every employee would have to sign such an agreement, would you like to work there?

I know I wouldn’t. There are way too many beeping alarms and flashing, blinking red lights signaling a toxic workplace environment. ”We’d love to hire you. Uhh just need you to sign this contract where you promise not to rape or murder anyone”
                      Compared to everything else I'm signing? A CoC like FreeBSD or even the todogroup is nothing. If I were a member of a group granted some less politics in the workplace (this seems to be the whole point of these new CoCs) I would even actively look for such a forward thinking place.

Comment

Working...
                      X