KDE Plasma 5 Stack Should Now Be In Good Shape For FreeBSD Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    Desktop projects need to remember that not every OS has a penguin as a mascot and to make sure they remain portable.
    I think in a lot of cases the incompatibilities have not been introduced on purpose, very often technologies look "standard" or "portable" while they are not or not to their full extent.

Which is why applications and thus libraries are often available in a cross-system fashion either from the get-go or after some minor patches.

The problems start when development of system tools is concerned, as these require system specific code paths or using some already existing adapter technology.

Traditionally these tools were stand-alone and thus easy to switch between, but there is user demand to have certain facilities integrated into the desktop shells, e.g. network/wifi/vpn management.

Unfortunately the cross section of BSD developers and desktop developers is not very large, so there is not enough input from the BSD side during "standardization" of service APIs.

For example most interaction between desktop shells or tools and the system happens via standard mechanism such as D-Bus, so it should theoretically be possible to implement fully BSD specific system services for each interface being used by the desktop layer, but if creation of said interfaces lacks input BSD input, they might contain Linux specific bits or assume Linux specific behavior.

Cheers,
    _

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      They changed their code of conduct under obvious SJW influence, around 2-3 months ago.
      This is their current CoC https://www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
      I for one would not ever want to work with people for which such a code of conduct would be a problem. If banning harassment is a problem for you, you are a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by niner View Post

I for one would not ever want to work with people for which such a code of conduct would be a problem. If banning harassment is a problem for you, you are a problem.
        A code of conduct is not a problem. It becomes a problem when it's written and enforced by power-tripping police-wannabes.

Harassment is a prosecutable crime in all (albeit with exceptions, I'm sure) modern countries, hence there's no point in having a code of conduct several pages long, written by those who wished to, but never made it into police academy.

I know I'll regret asking this: What actually did happen within the FreeBSD community that made them rewrite their old code of conduct this extensively?

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
          I know I'll regret asking this: What actually did happen within the FreeBSD community that made them rewrite their old code of conduct this extensively?
          FreeBSD got dragged into gamer gate by idiot activist Randi Harper.
          Last edited by k1e0x; 06 May 2018, 01:55 AM.

Comment

FreeBSD got dragged into gamer gate by idiot activist Randi Harper.
            Uh, sorry in advance for upsetting the BSD radicals. Games on BSD?

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post

Uh, sorry in advance for upsetting the BSD radicals. Games on BSD?
              No it has to do with trolls harassing female gamers online.. Randi Harper was a BSD dev that wrote a pearl script (ggautoblocker) that attempted to ban them... basically throwing gas on a fire (ignoring them is good.. banning them.. ho boy) and making herself and FreeBSD a target. Some of this started to spill over to FreeBSD's IRC channels. She asked the FreeBSD foundation to do something about it and I guess she wasn't happy with their actions (but really what business is it of theirs) .. thats the jist of it.. I could be wrong because it's old news.. look it up.

It's a somewhat serious issue but her reactions and getting the foundation involved was pretty dumb. That is the reason though.. FreeBSD also had a genius ninja rock star developer Matt Dillon in the past who broke a lot of rules, started a lot of drama and left the project to start DragonflyBSD. So...... that is why they have a IMO dumb ass CoC.. its an over reaction to those events.

In my opinion you want to be tolerant, but that also means tolerant of assholes, sexists and bigots because sometimes they are highly talented and you can do a lot of great work. You don't have to like people or approve of their actions to work with them. In other words thick skin when working with others.. Nobody else can offend you unless you let them. That.. however.. does not seam to be the motto of the day.. apparently everyone on earth needs to conform to a certain viewpoint now days.
              Last edited by k1e0x; 07 May 2018, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I could be wrong because it's old news.. look it up.
                I'll pass, I don' think there's anything to gain from dwelling deeper into this. Thanks for the awesome summary.

Comment

Originally posted by niner View Post

I would never want to work for people who are so thin skinned they have to police everyone like they're in kindergarden. It breeds the most toxic environments you can possibly think of, as everyone will be tripping on egg shells all the time because "someone could get offended"

Comment

Working...
                  X