Ryzen Stability Issues Are Still Affecting Some FreeBSD Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Regarding C6 - it has nothing to do with faulty PSU and Haswell like support. It's a bug in Ryzen 1 series. I have exactly same PSU, and Ryzen 2700X works without any issues with C6 enabled both for package and cores. On exactly same PSU and board, my Ryzen 1700X was freezing, unless I disabled package C6 through "Power supply common current idle" setting in the firmware.
    That still doesn't rule out PSU as cause. It could simply be that (early) Ryzen 1000 CPUs behave differently when coupled with a problematic PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      That still doesn't rule out PSU as cause. It could simply be that (early) Ryzen 1000 CPUs behave differently when coupled with a problematic PSU.
      Things really are much more complicated than just "faulty PSU" or "working PSU". It's far from binary. Different processors will have different tolerances, and so will different motherboards and their VRM's. In the end, it's not the PSU that is responsible for providing a stable voltage to the CPU, it's the motherboards VRM and a good VRM will filter out minor inconsistencies in the power provided by the PSU while an inferior motherboard's VRM might not. My point is, there's a lot of components involved and everything has to work together. A so called "faulty PSU" might actually be performing to spec and work perfectly fine in most machines, but still cause issues if one is unlucky for one particular problematic build.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabrielbyrnei View Post

Hi, I have an ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard and I'm having freezes each time the GPU is loaded by phoronix gputest or even games. This is on the latest bios P4.70. all components are 2 weeks old. Seasonic 600W PSU.
        Well which kernel are you using? 4.17-rc1 was a huge step up from 4.16.1 in my case.

Comment

Working...
        X