Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD 5.2, TrueOS 18.03, FreeBSD 11.1, Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 & Clear Linux Tests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

    And you do not even realise that "old-fashioned Unix" gives credit to my mentioning of how small big box Unix systems where back just a decade ago? Something that you objected to then but seams like you forgot about that one. However I didn't try to twist anything, the Unix-Like quote I took from your last post about it where you wrote "I mentioned only Unix. BSD's are Unix-like." so yeah bad on my part for not searching back long enough.

    Architecture in the way that you are reasoning is not only meaningless, it's also work against you since (once again) the Unix of yesterday where the Unix "architecture" was designed scales horrendously as compare with any modern OS (which includes modern versions of Unix). The fact is that there is nothing in the Unix architecture that promotes scaling of any sort. Do you even know what this Unix architecture is that you speak of?

    So now I'm both a "Phoronix Linux-Supremacist/Apologist", a "greedy son of a bitch" and a "Bigot" and you have the nerve to write "Uhm.. Where did I insulted you?". You don't really put the BSD community in a good light (if you even are a BSD user in reality) almost makes me feel ashamed as a FreeBSD developer (I maintain some ports packages on FreeBSD).
    And twisting the words and meanings again. Mentally remove the "old-fashioned", sigh. It was meant as verbal amplification. "Old-fashioned Unix as opposed to progressive Linux". Linux - where devs try to cram in every idea they happen to dream up and something being "old-fashioned", "conservative" or "traditional" are all viewed in negative context - like "opposed to progress". Unix and BSD's as well are conservative. For example, I can take 10 years old how to and be fairly sure things still work the same. Not so with Linux.

    If you do associate yourself being a Phoronix Linux-Supremacist, then feel free to feel yourself insulted. I am tired of shits who feel nothing but contempt to anything not-Linux but just keep crawling into BSD subforum (check under which sub forum is this thread!) to make their views known. And then have nerve to tell me I remind them kebabert (who I had to look up). You are all like linux-kebabberts to me.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by aht0 View Post

      And twisting the words and meanings again. Mentally remove the "old-fashioned", sigh. It was meant as verbal amplification. "Old-fashioned Unix as opposed to progressive Linux". Linux - where devs try to cram in every idea they happen to dream up and something being "old-fashioned", "conservative" or "traditional" are all viewed in negative context - like "opposed to progress". Unix and BSD's as well are conservative. For example, I can take 10 years old how to and be fairly sure things still work the same. Not so with Linux.

      If you do associate yourself being a Phoronix Linux-Supremacist, then feel free to feel yourself insulted. I am tired of shits who feel nothing but contempt to anything not-Linux but just keep crawling into BSD subforum (check under which sub forum is this thread!) to make their views known. And then have nerve to tell me I remind them kebabert (who I had to look up). You are all like linux-kebabberts to me.
      #1 No word-twisting. If you write "old-fashioned" then you must expect people to believe just that if you do not explain further what you mean. You did right now but that is a bit late in this discussion. Anyway it's still irrelevant since traditional, conservative or progressive have nothing to do with how well something scales on big systems or how well an architecture is designed.

      #2 I do not associate myself with anything here, it was you who called me all those things and then had the nerve to ask where you spewed insults.

      #3 There is no "crawling into BSD subforums", I came here from the article that was on the front page at the time but keep coming back due to the notification icon that some one (i.e you)have quoted me. So no, I have not searched for a thread to bash BSD. In fact I have not bashed BSD one single bit in case you haven't noticed.

      #4 So you are tired of people "who feel nothing but contempt for anything not-Linux" in a post to a person that most definitely does not (why would I be a FreeBSD developer among other things if I felt contempt for e.g BSD?) while you show a clear contempt for anything not "old-fashioned Unix", takes one to know one I suppose.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by aht0 View Post
        "bla-bla" from a known Linux-nazi in a BSD thread. Again. Get a life retard. You are worth neither further attention nor reply. Want to insult, be insulted.
        Well, what to expect from someone who doesn't even know what this thread is about? Are you trolling intentionally or you're just blind, bsd-nazi fanboy? This thread is about Linux as well. I recommend reading original article if you didn't do this yet. Did you just see bsd tag and jumped in to fight for this old, legacy trash? Bellow is something which should make you cry:

        https://w3techs.com/technologies/det...s-unix/all/all

        Just 0.9% of servers market share. What a result! "bla-bla" for bsd-nazi in Linux and BSD benchmark thread. Fixed that for you. And its code quality sucks:

        https://www.csoonline.com/article/32...-think-so.html

        Furthermore, above confirms what I was claiming since long time.
        Last edited by Pawlerson; 04-29-2018, 04:36 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by jacob View Post

          Whether it's on supercomputers, virtually all the biggest websites, databases and enterprise servers, about 80% of the world's smartphones or IoT devices, FreeBSD is nowhere to be found. Load balancers, routers, firewalls etc. often run OpenBSD, though, but that's a very different community and an OS designed with clear practical goals in mind. They actually focus on developing their software and discuss how to best achieve their stated objectives. Meanwhile FreeBSD focuses on SJW gender pronouns and discusses how much they hate Linux. It's true however that once upon a time, Netflix used to run FreeBSD. Don't take that away from the cult, it's about the one and only thing they can reasonably brag about ;-)
          Hummm... Let us see:
          Junos 18.1 is based on FreeBSD 11 (All Junos as far as I know is based on FreeBSD)
          KACE Networks's KBOX 1000 & 2000 Series Appliances and the Virtual KBOX Appliance (FreeBSD 10.x)
          Netflix Open Connect appliances. (Yes, it still runs FreeBSD)
          Playstation 3, 4 and Vita contain FreeBSD to one extent or another (The Playstation 4 has a FreeBSD kernel)
          Whatsapp - https://blog.whatsapp.com/196/1-million-is-so-2011
          Trivago.com
          This is a small sample taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sed_on_FreeBSD

          Junos runs on some Big Iron.

          I've run FreeBSD servers in the past that pushed a lot of data (In 1998 we were maxing out a T3 from less than 4 machines). As recently as 2010 I ran AZNetGate from 2 dual core machines.

          For network performance, I'll take FreeBSD over anything else.

          GB
          (former FreeBSD committer (1993 - 2000))



          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
            #1 No word-twisting. If you write "old-fashioned" then you must expect people to believe just that if you do not explain further what you mean. You did right now but that is a bit late in this discussion. Anyway it's still irrelevant since traditional, conservative or progressive have nothing to do with how well something scales on big systems or how well an architecture is designed.

            #2 I do not associate myself with anything here, it was you who called me all those things and then had the nerve to ask where you spewed insults.

            #3 There is no "crawling into BSD subforums", I came here from the article that was on the front page at the time but keep coming back due to the notification icon that some one (i.e you)have quoted me. So no, I have not searched for a thread to bash BSD. In fact I have not bashed BSD one single bit in case you haven't noticed.

            #4 So you are tired of people "who feel nothing but contempt for anything not-Linux" in a post to a person that most definitely does not (why would I be a FreeBSD developer among other things if I felt contempt for e.g BSD?) while you show a clear contempt for anything not "old-fashioned Unix", takes one to know one I suppose.
            #1 well, let's bury this.
            #2 whatever
            #3 When some article has some sort of comparison "BSD vs Linux" in it's title, same people "just happen to click on a article on front page" over-and-over like clockwork. What they proceed to do? Start bashing anything non-Linux. Pattern. "Once is random event, twice - maybe, thrice is an enemy action" - maybe it does not come over well in translation but the idea should be understandable
            #4 Do you really expect me to believe you are a BSD dev?

            --- feels like a necro post, sorry I was off-Phoronix for some time.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by aht0 View Post

              #1 well, let's bury this.
              #2 whatever
              #3 When some article has some sort of comparison "BSD vs Linux" in it's title, same people "just happen to click on a article on front page" over-and-over like clockwork. What they proceed to do? Start bashing anything non-Linux. Pattern. "Once is random event, twice - maybe, thrice is an enemy action" - maybe it does not come over well in translation but the idea should be understandable
              #4 Do you really expect me to believe you are a BSD dev?

              --- feels like a necro post, sorry I was off-Phoronix for some time.
              #3 which if you look at every post that I've written does not fit with me so why you keep on saying this is beyond me. I simply replied to a post that contained misinformation, I never clicked here to post "oh gawd linux for the best".

              #4 Believe what you want, I do maintain several packages for the FreeBSD ports tree. I'm not a BSD Kernel dev, but that I never claimed to be either.

              Comment

              Working...
              X