• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Red Hat Confirms RHEL 8 Will Drop Python 2

Red Hat Confirms RHEL 8 Will Drop Python 2

Phoronix: Red Hat Confirms RHEL 8 Will Drop Python 2

While it could have been pretty much assumed up until now that Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 would ship without Python 2 considering that next enterprise Linux OS release isn't even out yet, its long-term maintenance support, and Python 2 reaching EOL at the start of 2010, but now it's been made official...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-8-No-Python-2

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeder View Post

Isnt migrating from Python 2 to 3 really straightfoward, unlike some other transitions?
    Well usually. Unless you were trying to make unicode work in Python2, then you need to find all the hacks you had to do to make it work in python2.

If you didn't do that, you can usually write scripts that work both in python2 and python3 (which has been necessary for a while since Arch placed python3 in /usr/bin/python).

Leave a comment:

• mulenmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post

Yes I come here to bitch, like the majority of you do. Isn't that what the Phoronix forum is for?
    Actually, it's for the more general case of "Trolling", spiced with pedantry and corrections of Michael's exhaustion-induced typos. Occasionally some actual signal from developers rises above the noise.

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by dkasak View Post
    My 1st reaction was "that will piss off a lot of my team mates" ... ie lots of python2 code ( dev/ops ) will need to be fixed. But then I remembered ... we still have CentOS 6 boxes around, and no real plan to upgrade them.
    When you use CentOS, you get what you pay for.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post

What's it missing? It seems pretty complete in Fedora 27.
    Mostly things which haven't been accepted to belong to Wayland (screen capture for teleconferencing, colour profiles for professional image processing)

Leave a comment:

• wswartzendruber
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post

Michael, i dunno where you get the idea that RHEL8 wil;l use Wayland as Default? when its not evewn complete an is still missing a lot of functionality
    What's it missing? It seems pretty complete in Fedora 27.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Some offenders are GIMP which still rely on old Python 2.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    My 1st reaction was "that will piss off a lot of my team mates" ... ie lots of python2 code ( dev/ops ) will need to be fixed. But then I remembered ... we still have CentOS 6 boxes around, and no real plan to upgrade them.
    In the small chance that they do upgrade to CentOS 8, then I am sure a:

Code:
    # yum install python2
    will be all that is needed .
    Worst case scenario will be that you have to add the EPEL or RPMFusion repos for it to work.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeder View Post
    Isnt migrating from Python 2 to 3 really straightfoward, unlike some other transitions?
    When writing new code it's usually fairly simple to make it Python 2.7 and 3 compatible. I've done that a lot. Porting old code may be easy but only if it's free of str handling bugs which it rarely is.

One of the reasons (or the main reason?) we have Python 3 is to move to Unicode by default. You can actually discover a lot of str encoding bugs by making your code Python 3 compatible. Well at least if the code is of decent size and doesn't manage to somehow avoid str/bytes objects.
    Last edited by Tomin; 04-11-2018, 08:11 AM. Reason: one more typo removed

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Your first reaction was likely also incorrect. I doubt they remove Python 2 from RHEL 8, just make sure they fix system components to work with Python 3 so they can ship with no Python 2 installed

Leave a comment:

Working...
X