Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feral Releases "GameMode" System Tool For Linux, Currently Sets CPU Scaling Governor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by makam View Post
    When will it support OpenRC?
    So I already added the initial un-systemd-ening a while back: https://github.com/FeralInteractive/...c0f3fe9f06e8f1

The only other "obstacle" is to basically not use `sd-dbus` - which would just be a case of opening up a PR and switching to either a shim or just using `libdbus-1`

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox

Not exactly a good excuse, never to learn to pick up and learn to program/becoming a developer.

Otherwise keep on waiting (for all of those that are asking).
      I actually did have to learn to program in IT college, and I learned enough to know that i don't want to do that for a living. Thank you very much. (I have stress issueseven without it, and solving programming tasks skyrocketed my stress more than anything else(other than math, math stressed me even more))

Not that I want to disrespect programmers, on the contrary, I admire you for doing work that I do not want to do.
      Last edited by makam; 10 April 2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post

So I already added the initial un-systemd-ening a while back: https://github.com/FeralInteractive/...c0f3fe9f06e8f1

The only other "obstacle" is to basically not use `sd-dbus` - which would just be a case of opening up a PR and switching to either a shim or just using `libdbus-1`
        So I noticed you were a contributor ikey_solus. That explained why it was on the Solus repos so quick (unstable but better than nothing). Keep up the good work !
        Note: I am a biased Solus user

I actually did have to learn to program in IT college, and I learned enough to know that i don't want to do that for a living. Thank you very much. (I have stress issueseven without it, and solving programming tasks skyrocketed my stress more than anything else)

Not that I want to disrespect programmers, on the contrary, I admire you for doing work that I do not want to do.
        Sorry if I sound rude, not my intention.

Comment

Feral Interactive officially supports Ubuntu and SteamOs only.

Comment

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post

Thx and cool.

Originally posted by Sethox
            Oh, no offense was taken, so no problem.

Comment

systemd cancer again ... if even simple tools start being dependent on it, we can give up the whole FOSS idea ...

Comment

When someone sends a PR to them.

While they might not be interested in running this daemon in a systemd-less system as it is saving them quite a bit of leg work, they designed a modular system.

The client applications (games and such) call their library to talk to their daemon. The communication between library and daemon happens through systemd infrastructure.

This means you can change this communication code to not use systemd, and applications will still work fine as they only care about the library interface, not how it actually works. They aren't using systemd infrastructure directly from the games to talk to their daemon, that would be a total bitch to work around (and more annoying to use than just calling a library).

See this part of the readme:

The design has a clear-cut abstraction between the host daemon and library (gamemoded and libgamemode), and the client loaders (libgamemodeauto and gamemode_client.h) that allows for safe use without worrying about whether the daemon is installed or running. This design also means that while the host library currently relies on systemd for exchanging messages with the daemon, it's entirely possible to implement other internals that still work with the same clients.

Don't underestimate the Gentoo/BSD communities. It IS tough, but they already have experience on gutting out systemd only stuff out from systemd.
                It's not as hard as you think. The systemd infrastructure has already split functions in different daemons and has them communicate over documented and stable interfaces.

It's almost as if systemd devs wanted to let others to remove or replace what they didn't like. /sarcasm

EDIT: damn, ikey_solus ninja'd me.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 10 April 2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
                  systemd cancer again ... if even simple tools start being dependent on it, we can give up the whole FOSS idea ...
                  Read the last posts around yours, from ikey_solus and me.

Comment

@aejsmith: 'ensuring your CPU's frequency scaling governor is set to "performance"'

But 'we' learned, that sometimes 'others' are better.

Maybe F1 2017.
                    Vulkan (radv) hint, hint,...

Comment

The SteamOS folks need to wake up. I remember when that project started there were hopes that their distro would contribute some kind of value-add. But instead you have distros like Clear Linux that are actually making worthwhile changes, and projects like this one that are so simple it makes you wonder why a gaming oriented OS would not have this set out of the box. I was reading that SteamOS's governor was set to "ondemand" a few years back. Maybe I am missing something but I am not sure what the point of their distro is.

Comment

Working...
                      X