Lumina Desktop 2.0 Is A Big Overhaul, Fully Leveraging QML

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    tl:dr they did not even have first-hand info about what Wayland does, but have a ton of paranoia and spread FUD.
    Yeah, I probably shouldn't have copied that part, but the point I was getting at was that Lumina is not purely for X.
    I will start playing with it and see what it takes to convert Lumina over to Wayland (should be fairly small – I segregated all the XLib/XCB usage into only a couple files in anticipation of this very conversion).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Yeah, I probably shouldn't have copied that part, but the point I was getting at was that Lumina is not purely for X.
      My statement about that does not change though. Their "points of concern" in that post are either grossly inaccurate or outright FUD.

Really, if you don't know you say "I don't know", you don't post random FUD scaremongering.

Comment

From

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"FreeBSD Looks At Making Wayland Support Available By Default"

Will not be a big thing for TrueOS to add support for Wayland. Qt is already compatible with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Is there any point to this other than "I <3 Wayland!"?
          I don't love Wayland.
          From what we seen from benchmarks it looks like Wayland often is slower than X.Org.
          But it seems the world is moving away from X.Org to Wayland.
          So building new stuff on X.Org is not sane, its a old platform that is being deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
            From

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...d-Availability

"FreeBSD Looks At Making Wayland Support Available By Default"

Will not be a big thing for TrueOS to add support for Wayland. Qt is already com YYpatible with Wayland.
            There could be some indirect things. E.g. people say "this Radeon 12000 works great in linux 4.35! No driver issue with Wayland!". Umm crap, I got upgraded to Gnome 6.0, but my Radeon 12000 doesn't work well on DeadBSD yet. Nice that I can drop to Xorg. Oops!, Xorg support was removed in Gnome 6.0. Well, I'll use some VESA or fb mode. Nope! Banned by UEFI and even coffee pots use "proper" graphics not that old crap! Thankly, my TV still supports VGA input. Oops, it's compatible with 1080p and 720p but doesn't support VGA text mode. Well I think I have something listening to the serial console as a back up. Oh damn there's nothing on the motherboard! Okay, I've so soldered a few of the missing header pins. Oops, I forgot the OS on my GNU/linux phone doesn't support USB-on-the-go yet, so I can't use the console with it. I'll fish a 110 baud tty............ These Indochina veterans wouldn't let it go but they finally lent it to me. Oh crap, they haven't made ribbon for it since 1997! The supply was bought out by.. Strategic Rocket Forces Command. Paper and Ink were banned in 2021, the Year of the Paperless Office. By the way Domino's and MicrosoftBucks won the Chain Restaurant Wars. Blurgh! So, I'll grow some hemp and catch some squid.. [to be continued]
            Last edited by grok; 04 March 2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

There could be some indirect things. E.g. people say "this Radeon 12000 works great in linux 4.35! No driver issue with Wayland!". Umm crap, I got upgraded to Gnome 6.0, but my Radeon 12000 doesn't work well on DeadBSD yet. Nice that I can drop to Xorg. Oops!, Xorg support was removed in Gnome 6.0. Well, I'll use some VESA or fb mode. Nope! Banned by UEFI and even coffee pots use "proper" graphics not that old crap! Thankly, my TV still supports VGA input. Oops, it's compatible with 1080p and 720p but doesn't support VGA text mode. Well I think I have something listening to the serial console as a back up. Oh damn there's nothing on the motherboard! Okay, I've so soldered a few of the missing header pins. Oops, I forgot the OS on my GNU/linux phone doesn't support USB-on-the-go yet, so I can't use the console with it. I'll fish a 110 baud tty............ These Indochina veterans wouldn't let it go but they finally lent it to me. Oh crap, they haven't made ribbon for it since 1997! The supply was bought out by.. Strategic Rocket Forces Command. Paper and Ink were banned in 2021, the Year of the Paperless Office. By the way Domino's and MicrosoftBucks won the Chain Restaurant Wars. Blurgh! So, I'll grow some hemp and catch some squid.. [to be continued]
              Ha ha are you joking . Radeon it's not MediaTek who keep secret kernel(s) source code and specs for the hardware. Mobile market is more dynamic Mali, Tegra, Adreno, Vivante, VideoCore, PowerVR etc than AMD, Nvidia and Intel.
              Last edited by onicsis; 04 March 2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                Goes without saying....but please benchmark this when you can. Lumina 1.x vs 2.x and Gnome vs KDE vs Lumina 1.x vs 2.x
                Lumina is a lightweight desktop, so it would make more sense to benchmark it against other lightweight desktops, like Enlightenment, Budgie, LXQT, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Linux is moving towards Wayland.
                  TrueOS is stuck with X.Org and Lumina Desktop.
                  Lumina Desktop is built on X.Org, its not Wayland.
                  But it's written in Qt5 and QML, both of which are Wayland enabled. So porting Lumina to Wayland shouldn't be that hard.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 04 March 2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

There still are applications on gtk2, qt4, lesstif, xlib, xcb, fltk, tk..

Wayland might be more useful on linux phones at first where there is less need for legacy (if linux phones even take off) and where the main draw is security so the tin foil hat aspects are more justified.
                    What if russian or german government mandates linux phones for gov employees that do things on phones. This might be the only hope for linux on phones, or for many "normal" people to use wayland.

Wayland on BSD or lumina on linux?
                    It may be the future. For now, even most linux users don't have to care except for a few fedora or arch users or the latest gnome ubuntu with the right kind of GPU.
                    But unlike GTK2 and Qt 4, FLTK and TK are still supported and being developed.
                    And the Russian government is already switching to Linux in the form of a custom build of SailfishOS: https://sailfishos.org/partners/

"In 2016, the Russian Ministry of Communications publicly expressed support for the Sailfish OS agenda in Russia, which is part of Russia’s long-term objective to create a more independent IT ecosystem for the country. Jolla’s licensing customer, Open Mobile Platform Ltd. was formed to deliver on this objective, and to develop tailored solutions for Russian corporations and state-owned companies. Open Mobile Platform, in collaboration with Jolla, is currently developing tailored solutions for the market, and working with its first customers to match their specific needs. The company is also building a strong Russian developer community for Sailfish OS, which will contribute to the project.
                    Sailfish OS is currently the only mobile operating system which has been officially certified to be used in governmental and government controlled corporations’ upcoming mobile device projects.
                    The project is currently in a strong growth and development phase, and first customers will be announced soon."

Comment

But until Wayland gets more useful (including use by non-KDE traditional desktops, [...] non GTK/Qt software etc.)
                      You mean in the form of Enlightenment, Sway and a couple of other non-KDE desktop environments? And EFL and FOX as non-GTK/Qt toolkits?

Comment

Working...
                      X