Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sculpt Aims To Be A General-Purpose OS Built Atop Genode

Phoronix: Sculpt Aims To Be A General-Purpose OS Built Atop Genode

The Sculpt operating system that aims for day-to-day / general purpose use-cases and built atop the Genode OS Framework is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think finally we should not waste to much time/energy/hope on stuff that some open source developers "aim for". I am also aiming for the moon, but I advice you, not to hold your breath.

Comment

Originally posted by cipri View Post
      I think finally we should not waste to much time/energy/hope on stuff that some open source developers "aim for". I am also aiming for the moon, but I advice you, not to hold your breath.
      It's GenodeOS themselves doing this and a general purpose OS has been on the roadmap since at least 2012. Expectations wise, they already had live CDs back in the day so it's not like they don't know what they're getting into.

Comment

It's a very long term research project that is turning out an interesting operating system.

Having goals to aim for is a very important part of any project, otherwise you live in perpetual scope creep

Comment

It's still going orders of magnitude faster than HURD, Haiku, and similar "hobby OS", or even ReactOS for that matter, and it is based on an original and interesting design.

Comment

As if it was totally obvious what Linux would become back in 1991.

Comment

I currently consider there are 3 Big MicroKernel based OS that hold some Future hopes: Mozilla's Redox, Google's Fuchsia and Genode.

To me, It's actually the most interesting project from the Big3. And actually the one i hope will prevail!!!

Fuchsia is Google's OS and... well being Google's, for me, makes it definitely OUT of interest!
              Mozilla's Redox is very interesting! (However i like seL4's security and i prefer GPL licensed software)
              Genode is GPLed, gives you the chance of using seL4, to customize a lot of other options and also opens the door for other OS the base themself's on it. It's Linux with a lot more choices!!!

I really hope they hit the Moon!!!

Because IF they do, they'll have the chance to completely reshape OS's - for the better!!!

I really hope they're able to reuse other Linux projects (e.g.: Qt based apps and DE's, AppImage's, etc - that would be the KILLER feature! If one could use software we already know that would be the cherrie on the top of the cake )
              Last edited by Mavman; 09 March 2018, 12:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Sculpt Aims To Be A General-Purpose OS Built Atop Genode

The Sculpt operating system that aims for day-to-day / general purpose use-cases and built atop the Genode OS Framework is now available...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...m&px=Sculpt-OS
                If I were them, I'd get LLVM, Clang + Rust working on the platform right away for porting existing C++/C apps as well as future looking Rust development which should supplant C/C++.

I sort of wish Google didn't end up reinventing the wheel just because they could with Fuchsia and had adopted Genode.... oh well.

Comment

Working...
                X