No announcement yet.

Radeon Linux OpenGL Driver Continues Giving Its Best Against Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any idea why Mesa performance always seems to drop sharply when running games at 4k resolution when compared to Windows or the proprietary drivers on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by prazola View Post

I launch it manually, what should change? I run it with ultra preset of course and unigine is all about GPU, CPU is idling the entire test.
      Anything could affect performance differently, i remember years ago on AMD hardware just disabling Aero on Windows and Unigine Valley had much better perf

Same here, Michael runs Unity... so if you don't run Unity, plus not via suite... these are enough potentional differences already which might affect performance.
      Last edited by dungeon; 23 February 2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Anything could affect performance differently, i remember years ago disabling Aero on Windows and Unigine Valley had much better perf
        That could be a poor handling of the fullscreen mode. Performance logging cannot be the cause, it's a lightweight task.

Comment

Originally posted by prazola View Post
          That could be a poor handling of the fullscreen mode. Performance logging cannot be the cause, it's a lightweight task.
          Anything else could be, beside GPU drivers really... Xonotic for example have various else overheads it bench at the same time, it bench a bit of networking and even sound even when sound looks like disabled Boot kernel with sound card disabled via kernel parameter and then run Xonotic bench and see for yourself

Openarena via suite is not like that in reality... that bloom reflection parameter was removed long ago from ioquake and it was never default.

Basically you should run everything via phoronix suite, if you want to compare your's vs Michael's results.

There is no lightweight tasks really, Intel for example test all their drivers with xinit-only and in reality when people run it under their broken compositors of choice, then usually shit happens
          Last edited by dungeon; 23 February 2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Currently the game hangs on the loading screen
            Try to Alt+Tab back and forth. For me it helps to get to the menu.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
              I went ahead and marked this as dup of: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105042
              Which shows thats already fixed in LLVM. Looks like your packages are too old.

Comment

Originally posted by damg View Post
                Anyone have any idea why Mesa performance always seems to drop sharply when running games at 4k resolution when compared to Windows or the proprietary drivers on Linux?
                I've been wondering this too. From what I recall, it isn't just AMD's drivers that seem to lose more performance than Windows as the resolution increases. Part of me wonders if perhaps this is an Xorg issue, since Xorg wasn't really designed (and therefore optimized) to handle such high resolutions. After all, Xorg is relatively CPU intensive compared to Wayland, and perhaps the CPU usage increases as you add more pixels. Heavier CPU utilization is likely to decrease framerates. Just a guess though - I'm not familiar enough with how all that works at the lower level.

Comment

From my experience, modern Xorg doesn't have an influence on performance. Might recheck this though, but not expecting anything.

Comment

Okay, how many people here can run observer on r600g with current Mesa and don't get GPU lockup? Anyone?

Originally posted by Strunkenbold View Post
                    I went ahead and marked this as dup of: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105042
                    Which shows thats already fixed in LLVM. Looks like your packages are too old.
                    By the way, I have exactly same issue on r600g, any ideas why it could be?
                    Seems like LLVM patch is amdgpu-specific, and LLVM shouldn't be matter for r600g at all, yet exactly same behaviour for some reason.
                    Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 23 February 2018, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Michael any gaming tests comparing CPU influence like the earlier tests of Ryzen vs Core i7? AFAIR Tomb Raider was one of the games that benefits from Ryzen thread count and was faster than Intel

Comment

Working...
                      X