Windows 10 WSL vs. Linux Performance For Early 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    Why were results from several systems missing in some tests? Clean Linux for Dolphin for instance?
    Missing dependencies on Clear. Clear's package archive isn't quite as extensive as other distros.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks, it's nice to hear that. So Microsoft officially asked Allan McRae to join the project.
      The glibc issue seems to be fixed too...
      I successfully tried to replace ubuntu with archlinux on WSL (old way) and I was able to run graphical stuff using vcxsrv.
      Last edited by losko; 23 February 2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Ubuntu 1804 will be the next long term release soon. Hopefully it will change these results again.
        Ubuntu & Debian based operating systems can very easily use the very latest of any Linux kernels. These Linux kernels are updated every several days, with better bug-fixes, features & optimizations from "The Linux Foundation".
        It might be too much for just one organization, or just one-person to test so many updates of the Linux kernels. However, to satisfy our collective curiosities, are the newest kernels much better in the benchtest results?

Comment

Can you run GUI based applications in WSL?

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
            Can you run GUI based applications in WSL?
            Yes.
            You have to install VcxSrv on Windows side and export the environment variable "export DISPLAY=:0" on Linux/WSL side.
            Screenshot

Comment

I/O is still atrocious. How am I meant to finish npm install before the end of the day?

Comment

Windows I/O (filesystems) are very bad.
                Microbenchmarks don't help to show scalability of this. We know NT is very bad at intensive multithreaded/multiprocess workloads. But I am not aware of any GNU/Linux ready benchmarks with big enough datasets to generate a great number of processes/threads.

Originally posted by losko View Post

Yes.
                You have to install VcxSrv on Windows side and export the environment variable "export DISPLAY=:0" on Linux/WSL side.
                Screenshot
                You mean GNU/WSL...
                Last edited by Filiprino; 06 March 2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Hi there,

These are really interesting and useful results. It confirms my own experience trying to switch to WSL for development a while ago. I'm now using Docker with a customised Alpine Linux build. Can anyone comment on whether it's worth me investing time to discover if Clear Linux would be even quicker? I'm a Ruby on Rails and React developer. Running tests in Rails and JS, installing NPM packages and Ruby gems, working with code in Vim are all done through Docker on a daily basis. Getting a speed improvement is always useful. And I do love playing with new stuff! I guess the other problem could be supported packages on Clear.

Comment

Curious to see benchmarks with Windows Defender set to exclude the WSL folder. It seems this is a pretty huge I/O bottleneck

Details https://medium.com/@leandrw/speeding...e-c3537dd03c74

Comment

Working...
                    X