FreeBSD Finally Gets Mitigated For Spectre & Meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lisa_arrowwood View Post
    2. The ideological witch hunts that are going on in other open source projects. Where dead weight project 'members' sit around at home with a magnifying glass through every person on he project's social media or other online presence for bits of wrong think. And then drag those 'guilty' of wrong think before an ideological star chamber run by wacko SJWs because everyone talented on the project is busy doing real work.
    This is particularly dangerous because behavior like this often isn't sanctioned, and the perpetrator then gets to play the victim card later once the trolls come after them. It's a very insidious social dynamic, in the end everybody loses. The problem is that most communities are too afraid to shut down this type of behavior for fear of seeming misogynist or whatever ism the perpetrator can claim for themselves.

It kinda feels that some arseholes are now transplanting their nerd bashing from high school into the world of free software.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I get it, so you're not willing to hold women to the same standard you hold men to. That sucks for you, but is your own damn fault. Treat women right and your bias will dissolve away.
      I'm not in a position to decide these things. It's just an observation, many people are too afraid to rein in toxic and abusive behavior by women. I hope this changes, but I believe that a few women thoroughly poisoned the well.

Comment

• Originally posted by nils_ View Post

I'm not in a position to decide these things. It's just an observation, many people are too afraid to rein in toxic and abusive behavior by women. I hope this changes, but I believe that a few women thoroughly poisoned the well.
        That's a perception you have and you can change that for yourself. Remember that old saying about shaded lenses, you're gonna see whatever color the shading is... You control what lense you use.

Comment

This is particularly dangerous because behavior like this often isn't sanctioned, and the perpetrator then gets to play the victim card later once the trolls come after them. It's a very insidious social dynamic, in the end everybody loses. The problem is that most communities are too afraid to shut down this type of behavior for fear of seeming misogynist or whatever ism the perpetrator can claim for themselves.

It kinda feels that some arseholes are now transplanting their nerd bashing from high school into the world of free software.
          Next time, check the poster's join date and poster's posts. It's likely a sock puppet of one of the losers of this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by nslay View Post

Next time, check the poster's join date and poster's posts. It's likely a sock puppet of one of the losers of this thread.
            I think it's fairly obvious for some time now. Newly registered, no posts elsewhere, similar language, exact same opinion, always on-line at similar times etc... The bastard even used a female name as an alias to try and manipulate us. How low can someone go? I think we are at lim f(x) where x→ 0

I think we are done here
            Last edited by Brisse; 21 February 2018, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nslay View Post

i hope you leave the freeBSD community on your own now, since you just acted against their SJW CoC yourself.

Comment

Well said.

Comment

• Seeing these massive threads always reminds me of this snip from the RationalWiki page on Identity Politics:

The social constructionist basis of modern identity politics makes it attractive above all to sheltered academics. Postmodernism and deconstruction, broadly speaking, are its handmaidens.

While a basic concern for issues of representation and social influence is perfectly necessary to all walks of liberal progressivism, more radical identity politicians have a track record of offering absurdly oversimplified interpretations of society — judging, for example, the mix of skin colors of models and actors that appear in advertisements as an important civil rights issue, and views the integration of advertising materials as a significant civil rights victory, rather than as mere tokenism.

Its chief political victories resemble this; "speech codes" and other new forms of etiquette are some of its more conspicuous successes. In essence, identity politics is constantly generating new forms of etiquette. But, since the function of etiquette is to perform social status and rank, and all etiquettes create an underclass of the rude and uncouth[18], identity politics constantly undermines the egalitarianism it aspires to in theory, and as such tends to exaggerate class resentments the more rigorously its new etiquettes are enforced.

Social constructionism invites us to believe that we can change the world by using different words. As such, building on its postmodernist tendencies, identity politics as an academic exercise generates a great deal of jargon. This obscurantist approach comes at a price, however — deconstructionists have been criticized for constructing elaborate systems of such jargon which seems indistinguishably like a device for wrapping empty ideas in the appearance of sophistication.
                  ...and the "euphemism treadmill" effect is direct evidence against that. ("idiot" used to be medical jargon, but it became too offensive, so they coined "retarded"... which also became too offensive, etc. etc. etc.)

People choose words to communicate what they think and feel, and identity-political zealots get extremely frustrated when people's sense of identity proves to be more loyal to their opinions than to a subgroup-delineating word that's in the process of being redefined. (eg. The flow of people deciding that "I must not have been a feminist after all. I guess I'm an egalitarian." or "If that's what atheism is, I want no part of it. I'm a secular humanist.")

Comment

• The core and CoC Teams from freebsd will get some training from a diversity consultant, paid by the donations to the freebsd foundation.

First maintainers dropping their ports maintainance because of this SJW CoC: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/...ry/112646.html https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/...ry/112638.html https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/...ry/112647.html
                    some other maintainers say the are on the fence wanting to see if this worst case really starts.

Comment

• Originally posted by k1l_ View Post

i hope you leave the freeBSD community on your own now, since you just acted against their SJW CoC yourself.
                      Facts are facts and he pointed out a very good one. Does it occur to you that in order to defend your own claims you need to resort to the terms of the very CoC you're so against? In effect you've reinforced the CoC and made it stronger.

Comment

Working...
                      X