Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD Has SVS To Mitigate Meltdown, Still Working On Spectre

Phoronix: NetBSD Has SVS To Mitigate Meltdown, Still Working On Spectre

The NetBSD project has issued an update concerning recent security efforts for this popular BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sadly it is a slowly (very) dieing OS. I liked it when I used it, but it so dated now, that I am not sure it will work well on newer pcs (despite it claims that it runs on everything - it is not)

Comment

This is what you can expect from an inferior OS. YOu get the update at some point, perhaps. Why not just combine efforts and develop Linux together?

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        This is what you can expect from an inferior OS. YOu get the update at some point, perhaps. Why not just combine efforts and develop Linux together?
        That is not the BSD way, apart from licensing issues (MIT vs GPL2 politics), BSD always had more stable and secure kernels that Linux does.
        Also, who cares, for all intends and purposes these are two completely separate projects (actually, BSD is further internally fragmented with itself to a degree). If anything they should merge all non-openBSD distros into one (merging openbsd with rest of them is about as likely as grsecurity patches being accepted into upstream in their current form).

Comment

varikonniemi Linux being developed by the biggest companies on the planet I do not really think they need help: since IBM poured its first billion dollar early 2000 Linux has not been a "hippie community system" as it is often marketed. Bottom line is that there are already players in place and with enough leverage to not care. That said you could respect people willing to pursue other goals, and showing contempt do not make you represent the Linux community in a good way. Enjoying some fun time with an inferior system seems more likeable than putting people down.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post

BSD always had more stable and secure kernels that Linux does.
            In your dreams. BSD didn't even fix latest CPUs vulnerabilities and it's a joke OS in comparison to Linux. Linux runs the most demanding workloads and already proven its superior stability.

Comment

Working...
            X