No announcement yet.

GNU Hurd Hardware Support Remains In Very Rough Shape For 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are interested in microkernel OSs, Redox OS sounds far more interesting than GNU HURD.

Redox is written in Rust and designed with security and modern computing needs in mind. It has a much more modern design compared to HURD's legacy crap stuck in the 1990s. It also seems to be progressing in development much faster.

Comment

I wonder if their hurdles (pun!) are exacerbated by closed-source hardware, or if that's not an issue at all.
      GNU projects become more and more relevant and important with every year, as privacy and subsequent security concerns are discovered or uncovered. Adding to this is the ubiquity of internet-facing devices and their presence in all aspects of life in the 21st century.

Comment

Directed at Michael: Thank you for reporting on GNU Hurd

Comment

Optimism: I hope GNU Hurd succeeds so the fanatics that give Linux a bad rep can be disowned and RSM and the people who use Trisqul OS can use their funny versions of things on their GNU Island.

Pessimism: I hope GNU Hurd fails because duplicity can stifle speed of progress sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
            If you are interested in microkernel OSs, Redox OS sounds far more interesting than GNU HURD.

Redox is written in Rust and designed with security and modern computing needs in mind. It has a much more modern design compared to HURD's legacy crap stuck in the 1990s. It also seems to be progressing in development much faster.
            LULZ I read that as "HURD's Legendary crap stack" Sorry, I shouldn't say anything.

I can see why a few people are still interested in it. It is an opportunity to do work in the heart of an operating system. Make decisions that matter to the project. People work on obscure BSD forks for similar reasons.

Comment

Redox is written in Rust
              IOW it will never get further than research project/plaything, just like Hurd.

Comment

I'd like to see more on Minix3, at least that is applied on more PC's than windows :-)

Comment

+1 for RedoxOS
                  I've followed HURD's development for while, until i realised it was a dead project...

RedoxOS on the other hand, managed to start from scratch, in a new language, using a different architecture than Linux, they even have their own DE and FS... Man, i hope someday i can install it and use it as a daily driver, but whatever happens they already did impressive work!...

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    Optimism: I hope GNU Hurd succeeds so the fanatics that give Linux a bad rep can be disowned and RSM and the people who use Trisqul OS can use their funny versions of things on their GNU Island.

Pessimism: I hope GNU Hurd fails because duplicity can stifle speed of progress sometimes.
                    What's meant by "fanatics that give Linux a bad rep"?

Comment

It is MIT licensed, so atleast for me it is not really that interesting... why waste your time to fix and submit code to a project, where the license already defines it as a "corporate grab bag" without any requirement in place that grants you any fixes back to the code you submit. Creating a GPL fork is possible, when that happens i will take a look again.

Comment

Working...
                      X