X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomin View Post
    (F10 for my Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming motherboard; for some reason bios versions newer than F4 have issues with bcache setups) which didn't fix the lockups. Now I've disabled C-state power saving (I don't remember the exact setting) and it seems to be stable. I'm running Fedora 27 with stock kernels.
    Slight OT, but I'm looking for a mini-itx Ryzen board that supports ECC AND has an onboard Displayport (hoping the new Ryzen-based APUs also support ECC too), and your board is one of the very few that seem to fit the bill. Is there any options about ECC in your bios/UEFI settings?

Could you look in dmesg for lines about edac with dmesg | grep EDAC (should post something like this for a user that does have ECC ram installed anyway) https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ryzen/dhtm6az/

Leave a comment:

• Leopard
    replied
    Originally posted by tpruzina View Post

Just because Intel has known vulnerabilities, doesn't mean that AMD is any more secure. The just have advantage of being the little guy that nobody cares about.
    I suspect that Intel validation/verification teams are much better than AMDs, especially after long time of AMD being in red numbers.
    Nothing surprising really.

Linux community is generally having their pitchforks ready for Intel and Nvidia hate at any negative news, but they gone silent when an AMD problem occurs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by kravemir View Post
    Makes me wonder, which cpu would ​I pick today... Intel or AMD... More vulnerable or little (but annoying) unstable...
    Just because Intel has known vulnerabilities, doesn't mean that AMD is any more secure. The just have advantage of being the little guy that nobody cares about.
    I suspect that Intel validation/verification teams are much better than AMDs, especially after long time of AMD being in red numbers.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by vortex View Post

I am sure if someone can find a way to replicate the issue, they will be able to fix it.
    This also don't happen on Windows AFAIK, so, it is a linux bug of some type.
    Or hardware issue which windows doesn't trigger, because it doesn't care about performance.

Leave a comment:

• Chewi
    replied
    Yes, Linux is certainly not free of this issue or any OS for that matter because this is a hardware issue. I half joked that you wouldn't see it on Windows because it's never idle for long enough. Turns out AMD have privately said exactly the same thing. So yes, they are aware of the issue but it doesn't seem like they're going to admit it publicly. They told me directly that it would be fixed in a BIOS update but I'm not holding my breath. For now, I am using the CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU workaround (which I discovered, you're welcome ) and I have seen maybe two freezes in the months since. I can't swear they weren't caused by something else but I don't believe the workaround is 100% effective.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    I get random lockups when writing stuff with gvim which is very annoying when you happen to be computer science major whose favourite editor is (g)vim... I upgraded to the latest bios (F10 for my Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming motherboard; for some reason bios versions newer than F4 have issues with bcache setups) which didn't fix the lockups. Now I've disabled C-state power saving (I don't remember the exact setting) and it seems to be stable. I'm running Fedora 27 with stock kernels.

The CPU has also the segfault bug when using many threads, but I can't yet replace it because I really need that cpu for now. Maybe in a month or two I can RMA it.
    Last edited by Tomin; 21 January 2018, 04:03 PM. Reason: forgot to mention my distribution

Leave a comment:

• Leopard
    replied
    Originally posted by vortex View Post

I am sure if someone can find a way to replicate the issue, they will be able to fix it.

If you can't replicate it since it is too random, then it is a guessing game, and not much progress can be done.

So, if you have this issue, then try to find a way to replicate it, then report the bugs.
    I have an Intel Cpu , i7 7700 HQ.

I experienced a bios acpi related issue on this very Asus laptop but since it is not Windows related , they didn't care.

Also when you look that mailing list , that cannot be considered as "too random ". Many people suffering from same issue , exact workarounds are working.
    Last edited by Leopard; 21 January 2018, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Whenever I plan to buy a Ryzen system, something comes up. First the segfault bug, then Meltdown/Spectre (at least AMD is invulnerable to the former), and now this.

Holy fuck, AMD, fix your goddamn platform. I want a new PC.

(Although, to be fair, this seems like an unfortunate combination of crap BIOS + crap motherboard and settings, or a power delivery issue.)

Is Threadripper affected? It's evidently overkill, but at least it's significantly cheaper than Intel's space heater offerings in HEDT, and I would finally have MOAR COARS (and my e-peen would be significantly enlarged).

For the record, enabling C6 on Kaveri causes random lockups when idle as well. Broken since forever (as is BAPM).

Leave a comment:

• vortex
    replied
    Originally posted by Leopard View Post

Yep , AMD should step up.

When there is a hardware related issue but hardware vendor didn't care about it , it turns into a pretty annoying issue.

If you can't replicate it since it is too random, then it is a guessing game, and not much progress can be done.

So, if you have this issue, then try to find a way to replicate it, then report the bugs.

Leave a comment:

• Leopard
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    The bug by far is not the worst. It's just a bug, that's it. It just happens, irrelevant to OS or hw. The worst is that AMD doesn't write about it, it looks like nobody is working, nobody care. It's a MAJOR problem on AMD side, and AMD does nothing about it.

You know, you can do lots of good stuff, but then single fault may beat everything you did good. It is this bug for AMD.
    Yep , AMD should step up.

When there is a hardware related issue but hardware vendor didn't care about it , it turns into a pretty annoying issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X