Some FreeBSD Users Are Still Running Into Random Lock-Ups With Ryzen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
    (F10 for my Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming motherboard; for some reason bios versions newer than F4 have issues with bcache setups) which didn't fix the lockups. Now I've disabled C-state power saving (I don't remember the exact setting) and it seems to be stable. I'm running Fedora 27 with stock kernels.
    Slight OT, but I'm looking for a mini-itx Ryzen board that supports ECC AND has an onboard Displayport (hoping the new Ryzen-based APUs also support ECC too), and your board is one of the very few that seem to fit the bill. Is there any options about ECC in your bios/UEFI settings?

Could you look in dmesg for lines about edac with dmesg | grep EDAC (should post something like this for a user that does have ECC ram installed anyway) https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ryzen/dhtm6az/

Comment

How can it be called an BSD issue, if the kernels of OpenBSD, FreeBSD and DragonBSD can be quite different in source and character?

Comment

This issue haunted me for months until I found out I was actually having two issues that both caused a similar kind of lock-up. I needed to disable c states, and give my RAM a small overclock(despite it being on my QVL). Without both, or just one setting set I will get about one hard lock every two days. After the change I have not had any issues for about 6 months.

Comment

Ryzen is very sensitive to power stability. In short, you need UPS to avoid problems.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Ryzen is very sensitive to power stability. In short, you need UPS to avoid problems.
            Just a semidecent board which can stabilize the current with chokes and bunch of capacitors. The one michael uses is pretty nice for the money ($100 budget board), but people often buy cheapest board out there, like half of them doesn't even have heatsinks on their 3 phase VRM. And those poor caps frying well over their rated for 5k hours @100C :[
            Last edited by tpruzina; 01-22-2018, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
              Is Threadripper affected? It's evidently overkill, but [...]
              My Threadripper 1950X has been rock solid on an ASRock X399 Taichi with ECC RAM. Running 24/7, currently with Linux 4.14.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                This was fixed in 4.13rc-something. These soft-lockups have been visible on large SPARC machines as well. This issue is not specific to Ryzen/Threadripper.

My office has one Threadripper machine which had this issue as well. With the updated kernel, the problem went away.

The machine is running 24/7 and is used for heavy number crunching.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                  Yes, Linux is certainly not free of this issue or any OS for that matter because this is a hardware issue.
                  No, at least not the soft-lockups. Those were definitely caused by a kernel bug as they were also visible on large SPARC machines.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

This was fixed in 4.13rc-something. These soft-lockups have been visible on large SPARC machines as well. This issue is not specific to Ryzen/Threadripper.

My office has one Threadripper machine which had this issue as well. With the updated kernel, the problem went away.

The machine is running 24/7 and is used for heavy number crunching.
                    I assume more Ryzen users here use latest kernels. At least for me linux 4.14 and linux 4.15 compiled from git on Arch Linux still freezes randomly.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I assume more Ryzen users here use latest kernels. At least for me linux 4.14 and linux 4.15 compiled from git on Arch Linux still freezes randomly.
                      Have you added rcu_nocbs=0-15 to kernel commandline ?
                      If no, then of course it will hang.

Comment

Working...
                      X