Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some FreeBSD Users Are Still Running Into Random Lock-Ups With Ryzen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Tomin View Post
    (F10 for my Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming motherboard; for some reason bios versions newer than F4 have issues with bcache setups) which didn't fix the lockups. Now I've disabled C-state power saving (I don't remember the exact setting) and it seems to be stable. I'm running Fedora 27 with stock kernels.
    Slight OT, but I'm looking for a mini-itx Ryzen board that supports ECC AND has an onboard Displayport (hoping the new Ryzen-based APUs also support ECC too), and your board is one of the very few that seem to fit the bill. Is there any options about ECC in your bios/UEFI settings?

    Could you look in dmesg for lines about edac with dmesg | grep EDAC (should post something like this for a user that does have ECC ram installed anyway) https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ryzen/dhtm6az/

    Comment


    • #22
      How can it be called an BSD issue, if the kernels of OpenBSD, FreeBSD and DragonBSD can be quite different in source and character?

      Comment


      • #23
        This issue haunted me for months until I found out I was actually having two issues that both caused a similar kind of lock-up. I needed to disable c states, and give my RAM a small overclock(despite it being on my QVL). Without both, or just one setting set I will get about one hard lock every two days. After the change I have not had any issues for about 6 months.

        Comment


        • #24
          Ryzen is very sensitive to power stability. In short, you need UPS to avoid problems.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Ryzen is very sensitive to power stability. In short, you need UPS to avoid problems.
            Just a semidecent board which can stabilize the current with chokes and bunch of capacitors. The one michael uses is pretty nice for the money ($100 budget board), but people often buy cheapest board out there, like half of them doesn't even have heatsinks on their 3 phase VRM. And those poor caps frying well over their rated for 5k hours @100C :[
            Last edited by tpruzina; 01-22-2018, 12:45 AM.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by angrypie View Post
              Is Threadripper affected? It's evidently overkill, but [...]
              My Threadripper 1950X has been rock solid on an ASRock X399 Taichi with ECC RAM. Running 24/7, currently with Linux 4.14.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                This was fixed in 4.13rc-something. These soft-lockups have been visible on large SPARC machines as well. This issue is not specific to Ryzen/Threadripper.

                My office has one Threadripper machine which had this issue as well. With the updated kernel, the problem went away.

                The machine is running 24/7 and is used for heavy number crunching.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                  Yes, Linux is certainly not free of this issue or any OS for that matter because this is a hardware issue.
                  No, at least not the soft-lockups. Those were definitely caused by a kernel bug as they were also visible on large SPARC machines.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by monraaf View Post

                    This was fixed in 4.13rc-something. These soft-lockups have been visible on large SPARC machines as well. This issue is not specific to Ryzen/Threadripper.

                    My office has one Threadripper machine which had this issue as well. With the updated kernel, the problem went away.

                    The machine is running 24/7 and is used for heavy number crunching.
                    I assume more Ryzen users here use latest kernels. At least for me linux 4.14 and linux 4.15 compiled from git on Arch Linux still freezes randomly.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

                      I assume more Ryzen users here use latest kernels. At least for me linux 4.14 and linux 4.15 compiled from git on Arch Linux still freezes randomly.
                      Have you added rcu_nocbs=0-15 to kernel commandline ?
                      If no, then of course it will hang.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X