No announcement yet.

The Latest In Our Massive Linux Benchmarking Setup - November 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equivalent of 0.09€ per kWh here in southern parts of Sweden. Lots of fixed fees on top of that though.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

do you plan to buy your own power plant in the future? like a solar power plant ?
      If/when I can afford the investment cost of it, e.g. Tesla options in future years.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If/when I can afford the investment cost of it, e.g. Tesla options in future years.
        Hey Michael - for a small trial - get some heavy plastic sheets and isolate and exhaust the hot air - You should see a decent drop in cooling costs.

For some rough numbers, the data centre near us at work dropped its cooling bill by ~50% for hot isle/cold isle implementation. It started its trial with heavy plastic and duct tape

Comment

Agreed... this still seems like the lowest hanging fruit re: cooling bills, better than mixing hot air into the rest of the house.

An air conditioner is basically a device that separates hot air from cold air and puts the hot air outside... but if you capture the hot air early enough your equipment layout has already done the separation for you.

Believe there was some discussion of this a couple of years ago but don't remember where it ended up. I found boxie's original suggestion about hot aisle layout (Dec 2015) but there was ongoing discussion re: limited window size for exhaust fan IIRC but think it trailed off without resolution.

In general though what we are thinking about is (1) isolating server area from rest of room with something like plastic sheeting / shower curtains, (2) having a duct running from that hot area to an exhaust fan venting directly outside during the cooling season.

Current layout with the power vent feeding rest of house seems fine for heating season.
          Last edited by bridgman; 13 November 2017, 04:13 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

That window is more than big enough to exhaust all the heat, as long as a fan there kept negative pressure between it and the cases' exhaust. Of course that means plastic sheets and duct tape. I think the AC savings would be worth it though.

My home lab produces about 500 watts of heat 24/7. Thankfully it's in a somewhat isolated area of the suite, and a good portion of the heat radiates to adjacent units. I have no way of venting directly outside, or I would!

Comment

Working...
            X