2017 "Oktoberfest" Premium: Snag A Great Deal While Supporting Our Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 "Oktoberfest" Premium: Snag A Great Deal While Supporting Our Work

Phoronix: 2017 "Oktoberfest" Premium: Snag A Great Deal While Supporting Our Work

The past few years I have run a Phoronix Premium deal around the time of Oktoberfest for those wishing to support all of the Linux hardware testing, reviews, news, and benchmarking work on the site done seven days per week, 365 days per year. While the actual fest is over at the wiesn, some Phoronix readers have inquired about running a deal again this year to get premium access at a discount. So here's the deal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm curious what is more profitable:
    A daily visitor, or someone buying one of these premium memberships on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'm curious what is more profitable:
      A daily visitor, or someone buying one of these premium memberships on sale.
      Premium on sale probably, especially if outside the US where ad rates are generally lower.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Premium on sale probably, especially if outside the US where ad rates are generally lower.
        hey Michael,

have you ever considered making an app that you could put in the play store?. ... you could have the app itself be free, but offer the subscription and also a donate feature...

while it wouldn't prevent adblocking (very easily), it probably would generate income, as well as providing a nice simple way for users to not only visit the site and login, but also make donations with a click or two with their android device.

food fir thought.

Comment

@Michael
          In order to improve security on the web, I have NoScript installed. Which of course also get's read of almost all ads.
          But since I can't free a certain ad-site only for phoronix (and not on other visited sites), I never activated them.

For quite a while, I was thinking about premium membership.

Now your Octoberfest-Membership article just gave me the shove I needed.

So I just paid for a lifetime subscription.

And to get over the guilty conscience by cutting you low by this special deal, I also made an additional "Birthday Donation".

So Michael, thanks for your great work. Keep the good things up.
          Thanks for what you do for Linux and OpenSource software.

This is very much appreciated.

Best regards from Switzerland and "Proscht" (= "Prost" ="cheers")

Rolf

Comment

Since oktoberfest is a beer related celebration you should also include a few bottles (you are in chicago right? - Goose island bourbon stout maybe) with each subscription. :P (j/k)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Since oktoberfest is a beer related celebration you should also include a few bottles (you are in chicago right? - Goose island bourbon stout maybe) with each subscription. :P (j/k)
              Indiana. But when living in Chicago, I think I only ever had Goose Island once or twice..... Still devout Bavarian/German beer drinker :P
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by rgloor View Post
                @Michael
                In order to improve security on the web, I have NoScript installed. Which of course also get's read of almost all ads.
                But since I can't free a certain ad-site only for phoronix (and not on other visited sites), I never activated them.

For quite a while, I was thinking about premium membership.

Now your Octoberfest-Membership article just gave me the shove I needed.

So I just paid for a lifetime subscription.

And to get over the guilty conscience by cutting you low by this special deal, I also made an additional "Birthday Donation".

So Michael, thanks for your great work. Keep the good things up.
                Thanks for what you do for Linux and OpenSource software.

This is very much appreciated.

Best regards from Switzerland and "Proscht" (= "Prost" ="cheers")

Rolf
                Thanks and Prost!
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by RelaxTrolls View Post

hey Michael,

have you ever considered making an app that you could put in the play store?. ... you could have the app itself be free, but offer the subscription and also a donate feature...

while it wouldn't prevent adblocking (very easily), it probably would generate income, as well as providing a nice simple way for users to not only visit the site and login, but also make donations with a click or two with their android device.

food fir thought.
                  Haven't looked into Android app making much and considering the likely time needed and so far you've been the only one to ever request it, unfortunately, probably not too practical.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Indiana. But when living in Chicago, I think I only ever had Goose Island once or twice..... Still devout Bavarian/German beer drinker :P
                    I hear you. For the styles they usually make (weiss pils etc) the germans are top notch. However there are a lot of american breweries that make really nice beers (IPAs Stouts etc).

Comment

Working...
                    X