2017 Linux Laptop Survey Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    So the 4 hours of battery life usually is the expected time for such laptop model.
    It's not like even brand-spanking-new sub-500$ laptops have terribly longer battery life than that, btw.

Because thinner = less battery.

Comment

Interesting how the percentage of people who have a nVidia graphics card matches the one of people who found the GPU most difficult to configure. Is there anything to see there?

Michael, could you split the answer to this question (most difficult thing to setup) by graphics card brand?

Comment

You have two entries for Clevo, one with a capital letter and another without , clevo.

Residing in Belgium, Google defaults some entries to Dutch (instead of simply asking the user what language he/she wants). It is not the first time i see such behaviour from Google. Really Google employees, nobody does want to know your political opinions.

Comment

Enjoyed reading the article!

Would love to know versions for certain distros (where it is significant in the future). For instance debian stable, testing or unstable.

Must have missed the survey here. Running Fedora 26 beta, or possibly Arch in the near future ;O)

Comment

Strange - so many people using Macbooks yet so few are using Mac OS. I understand the Macbook Pros are nice, but don't people realize it's very overpriced? Kind of the reason for spending that much is the OS. And yeah I know - Mac OS is free, but that's because Apple doesn't expect people to install it on PCs that aren't Apple-branded.

Comment

Wait, wait, another typo:

"The factor most sough after by Linux users when"
              Last edited by tildearrow; 08 July 2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Strange - so many people using Macbooks yet so few are using Mac OS. I understand the Macbook Pros are nice, but don't people realize it's very overpriced? Kind of the reason for spending that much is the OS. And yeah I know - Mac OS is free, but that's because Apple doesn't expect people to install it on PCs that aren't Apple-branded.
                A lot of it is just people getting tired of virtual machine hassles during software development. But they still use MacOS as dual boot, especially for applications that don't exist on Linux like Microsoft Word or Photoshop.

At least two developers where I work have done this.

Comment

I wonder how many votted Ubuntu because Kubuntu wasn't listed as a 1st level option

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                    A lot of it is just people getting tired of virtual machine hassles during software development. But they still use MacOS as dual boot, especially for applications that don't exist on Linux like Microsoft Word or Photoshop.

At least two developers where I work have done this.
                    I think you're confusing what I'm saying (or maybe I'm confusing what you're saying):
                    There are over 3x more people who own Macs than there are people who actually use Mac OS. In other words, they're using a Mac and they're specifically not dual-booting.

I'm not sure if people who use a VM for desktop purposes deem that as dual-booting or not, but this survey is specifically for people who run Linux as a primary and/or bare-metal OS on their laptop(s), so that assumes Mac OS isn't the host OS. What that means is regardless of users who count running Mac OS in a VM as dual-booting, there are still a weirdly disproportionate amount of Macbook vs Mac OS users.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      What that means is regardless of users who count running Mac OS in a VM as dual-booting, there are still a weirdly disproportionate amount of Macbook vs Mac OS users.
                      It could also be that at a lot of companies you show up for work and they ask you what sort of Macbook you want and if you're OK with one a year or two old because they're waiting for the next model refresh before buying more.

Comment

Working...
                      X