Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Custom Phoronix Desks Are Still Holding Up One Year Later

Phoronix: The Custom Phoronix Desks Are Still Holding Up One Year Later

In case you missed the articles last year or are curious how they are holding up, here's an update on the custom L-shaped desks I built last year of galvanized pipes and sheets of butcherblock for being able to withstand the weight of plenty of monitors and other computer hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ha! I never knew about this, but it looks awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      Ha! I never knew about this, but it looks awesome!
      Thanks!
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I must say, that looks really nice.

Comment

Now for the real test put some 21" CRTs on those desks

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            Now for the real test put some 21" CRTs on those desks
            Ah, the good old days

I remember shelling out for a 20+ inch CRT monitor when they were new and all the rage, and wow, to avoid embarrassment I almost threw my back out trying to get it into the car!

When I finally got it home I had to wait a few hours for a friend to come help me bring it upstairs into my apartment, but damn, it was fantastic

Comment

I bet the desks would hold up fine with CRTs - the tops look solid and all the weight goes straight down the support pipes. Might want a couple of diagonals if you were going to load them up with a bunch of CRTs, although the L shape should help with side forces.

I still have a ~25" high speed colour XY display sitting upstairs at my parents' house. Must weigh 150 pounds if an ounce.

We got it up the stairs ~15 years ago (when I was setting up an old Macintosh to get my parents online) but going back down seems a lot harder than going up. I guess that's why cats get stuck in trees...
              Last edited by bridgman; 06 June 2017, 04:11 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

In the spirit of open-source....

WHERE SOURCE IS AT?!?3w32iorthf;erwhg['

Alright, that's enough nonsense outta me. Looks great! Looks decently strong, too.

Comment

Nvidia green with envy !! I'm toasting you and your desk right now with a bottle of Blue Point Toasted Lager. In fact....seeing as how the bottle is almost empty....I think I'll toast you again!

Comment

I would still love for you too please create a list of all the materials. I have been keeping this in back of mind to do when I was able to get the money to do so. That time is now! I will be starting this project this week. I will be adding one extra piece. I will be adding a back to hold my https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Been so excited to do this since last year when I seen your desk!

Comment

Working...
                    X