Celebrate Phoronix's 13th Birthday By Going Ad-Free Premium At A Great Discount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
    nobody's forced you to never take a holiday, and I don't seem to recall anyone demanding you work 7 days a week.
    Which is PRECISELY why once I get paid tomorrow I am signing up for a Premium subscription. Michael is kick ass ! And his work and reporting are essential.

Comment

Well I thnk I will reenable the premium account soon, then but I may not limit my subscription to the bargain since your work is unvaluable :-)

Comment

Any plans to follow these guidelines, https://www.betterads.org/standards/, for your ads?

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
          Any plans to follow these guidelines, https://www.betterads.org/standards/, for your ads?
          Those guidelines are already followed with the exception of occasionally for some markets serving welcome ads.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I would take that subscription for $25 right now if you accepted credit card payments. I'm not much of a fan of banks, but right now it's the easiest for me.
            Any plans on teaming with one of those gift companies that give you a percentage of the sales in exchange of letting them use your brand in t-shirts or caps?
            I would buy a Phoronix cap

Comment

why would you Pay for this? have to have rocks in ya head , its a bit like paying for Online Newspaper Content.

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
                I would take that subscription for $25 right now if you accepted credit card payments. I'm not much of a fan of banks, but right now it's the easiest for me.
                Any plans on teaming with one of those gift companies that give you a percentage of the sales in exchange of letting them use your brand in t-shirts or caps?
                I would buy a Phoronix cap
                PayPal accepts CC payments.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yep, just ideally mention it in the email/paypal message so I remember to extend it. Usually I check, but just convenient if knowing when receiving it right away to make it an extension rather than new subscription.
                  Thanks.

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Michael, could you please change header tags to h* tags for title of article?

What you have is this (as an example):

Code:
                    <article>
                        <header><a href="?page=news_item&amp;px=OpenBenchmark-24-Million">OpenBenchmarking.org Hits 24 Million Test/Suite Downloads</a></header>
                        <p>OpenBenchmarking.org, our "cloud" component to the Phoronix Test Suite for centralized result aggregation by those opting to publicly upload their test results and also serving as the repository for all test profiles and test suites so they can ship independent of the PTS version, has hit 24 million test/suite downloads.</p>
                        <div class="details">21 Minutes Ago - <a href="?page=news_topic&amp;q=Phoronix+Test+Suite">Phoronix Test Suite</a> - 24 Million<span class="comments"> - <a href="/forums/node/955397">Add A Comment</a></span></div>
                    </article>
                    NVDA (open source screen reader) doesn't read header tag as heading level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. The correct way to do it is this:

Code:
                    <article>
                        <header><h1><a href="?page=news_item&amp;px=OpenBenchmark-24-Million">OpenBenchmarking.org Hits 24 Million Test/Suite Downloads</a></h1></header>
                        <p>OpenBenchmarking.org, our "cloud" component to the Phoronix Test Suite for centralized result aggregation by those opting to publicly upload their test results and also serving as the repository for all test profiles and test suites so they can ship independent of the PTS version, has hit 24 million test/suite downloads.</p>
                        <div class="details">21 Minutes Ago - <a href="?page=news_topic&amp;q=Phoronix+Test+Suite">Phoronix Test Suite</a> - 24 Million<span class="comments"> - <a href="/forums/node/955397">Add A Comment</a></span></div>
                    </article>
                    In the article with full content for the OpenBenchmark, instead of this:

Code:
                    <article class="full">
                    <header>OpenBenchmarking.org Hits 24 Million Test/Suite Downloads</header>
                    <div class="author">Written by <a href="http://www.michaellarabel.com/">Michael Larabel</a> in <a href="?page=news_topic&amp;q=Phoronix Test Suite">Phoronix Test Suite</a> on 2 June 2017 at 05:45 PM EDT. <a href="/forums/node/955397">Add A Comment</a></div>
                    <div class="content">
                    </article>
                    Change to this:

Code:
                    <article class="full">
                    <header><h1>OpenBenchmarking.org Hits 24 Million Test/Suite Downloads</h1></header>
                    <div class="author">Written by <a href="http://www.michaellarabel.com/">Michael Larabel</a> in <a href="?page=news_topic&amp;q=Phoronix Test Suite">Phoronix Test Suite</a> on 2 June 2017 at 05:45 PM EDT. <a href="/forums/node/955397">Add A Comment</a></div>
                    <div class="content">
                    </article>
                    Also, NVDA reads the web page from top to bottom. Here's a snippet of what NVDA spoke:

Code:
                    OpenBenchmarking.org Hits 24 Million Test/Suite Downloads - Phoronix
                    visited  link
                    graphic
                    Phoronix
                    link
                    link
                    link
                    link
                    list with 5 items
                    link
                    ARTICLES & REVIEWS
                    link
                    NEWS ARCHIVE
                    visited  link
                    FORUMS
                     CATEGORIES
                    edit
                    Custom Search
                    button
                    Search
                    out of list
                    Facebook Social Plugins
                    Google Custom Search Engine
                    Google+ Platform
                    Twitter Button
                    Twitter Syndication
                    OpenBenchmarking.org Hits 24 Million Test/Suite Downloads
                    Written by
                    link
                    Michael Larabel
                     in
                    link
                    Phoronix Test Suite
                     on 2 June 2017 at 05:45 PM EDT.
                    link
                    Add A Comment
                    (The "..." is added by me as the screen reader continues to read.)

Screen reader reads from right to left for "link" that were repeated four times between "Phoronix" and navigation bar with search (hence, "list with 5 items"). Screen reader reads from right to left but doesn't understand images: feed, Google+, Twitter, and Facebook. Blind users do not know that "OpenBenchmarking.org..." is the title of the article. Yes, you visually got the structure of the website without any problems, but for a blind user, there's no structure for them to quickly get around your website.

Not that I'm a blind user, but with a small laptop, NVDA for Windows is a great help for me. You do have Orca screen reader installed in Fedora, right? Try launching Orca and let the screen reader read the web page for you. Try to hit the "H" key a couple of times. For the full article, there are no heading tags at all. For the home page, only the few are located in sidebar and below and that's about it.

Also, try to use "text-transform: uppercase" for the menus instead of writing it in all caps. Screen readers may read it differently depending on how blind users configure the screen reading preferences.
                    Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 02 June 2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for keeping the ads reasonable. Some sites have resorted to auto-playing videos w/ ads and generally creepy pics they somehow seem to think will make you click. Yuck!

I don't check "remember me", in the login prompt. So, even with a subscription, I still get the ads (until I eventually login to post).

Comment

Working...
                      X