Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoronix Turns 13 In Two Weeks - What Shall We Benchmark To Celebrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix Turns 13 In Two Weeks - What Shall We Benchmark To Celebrate?

Phoronix: Phoronix Turns 13 In Two Weeks - What Shall We Benchmark To Celebrate?

Two weeks from tomorrow will mark the 13th birthday since starting Phoronix.com and also nine years since the release of Phoronix Test Suite 1.0. What better way to celebrate than by running more of our big, annual benchmarks from Windows vs. Linux comparisons to other interesting hardware tests...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd like to see the benchmarks of various DEs in regard to their memory and disk space consumption.

[ Methodology: install the default versions of Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu/Kubuntu with default settings, login, run default File Manager and Terminal, show the output of `free` and then the output of the same command after running `echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches` ]

Also I'd like to see the benchmarks of 32 and 64bit versions Firefox/Chrome/Chromium/Konqueror in regard to their performance and memory consumption.

[ Methodology: run the said browsers; open in each of them 10-20 quite heavy websites, measure their memory consumption as a difference between what was reported by `free` before launching them and when they're running; then run various JS benchmarks and report their scores. ]

Comment

While standard benchmarks that covers process scheduling, memory load, filesystems etc is nice I do actually miss more hardware reviews. Pair Debian, Fedora and perhaps a few other "mother distros" with that motherboard and find out what works out of the box with just potentially installing packages available from the official repos. I hope Phoronix could do more hardware tests for both new AND older hardware.

And back to benchmarking. I would like to see the performance of zswap (echo 1 > /sys/module/zswap/parameters/enabled) and perhaps zram under heavy load conditions. I would also like to see benchmarks that shows improvements for process scheduling to find out of anything have improved there (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Scheduler-Bad). It would also be nice if there (on every kernel release) could be a set of standard benchmarks that was run every time so one could easily find regressions or improvements.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Happy birthday.

Comment

For something different how about getting Eric to write up another review?
          How about 13 days of "new desktop environment every day" with a quick top 5 likes and dislikes.

Comment

Benchmarking 4.11.2 vs 2.6.6, which came out the month Phoronix started!

Comment

Well, if you could sneak into AMD HQ and steal some sample Vega cards, you could post some really hot birthday benchmarks. Just make sure you fortify the server beforehand, Phoronix would explode.

Comment

Memory benchmarks would be nice.

With CPUs getting more cores and running more threads do memory controllers see a change in memory patterns. L1-L3 caches of various designs only help so much. A benchmark, which shows how well the Phoronix Test Suit scales with changing memory speeds is needed. Interesting to see would be, which tests are memory sensitive and which are not, which of the current platforms scale well and which do not.

The following article shows this for games, but games don't scale too well with multiple cores and the result is as expected:
                Benchmarks: Gaming. For the most part we test using DDR4-3000, as it occasionally shows some benefits over the more typical 2400 and 2666 MHz speeds. Going to 4000 MHz...

I expect to see things to change more dramatically for applications that can make full use of multi-threading, and the question will be how well fed do current memory controller and cache designs keep their CPUs and cores.

Comment

Testing Zen with these flags ( -march=znver1 -mtune=haswell ) to see if indeed AMD designed Zen to use Haswell optimizations out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    I'd like to see the benchmarks of various DEs in regard to their memory and disk space consumption.
                    (...)
                    Also I'd like to see the benchmarks of 32 and 64bit versions Firefox/Chrome/Chromium/Konqueror in regard to their performance and memory consumption.
                    (...)
                    My vote for these suggestions. If benchmarking browsers, it's a good idea to include Peacekeeper in the list.
                    If benchmarking DEs, please include Cinnamon.

Now about graphics cards, please include at least one GCN 1.0 and 1.1 model if possible.

Also, congratulations and thank you for your good work. I'll consider white-listing Phoronix, even though the Premium membership is viable.

P.S. I really think you should get more rest mate!

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X