No announcement yet.

It's Been Five Years Since That Interesting Message From Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Steam Linux Game: As of right now Mad Max, such a great port and a pretty fun game
    SteamOS Hopes: As of right now none. I just wish they would distribute steam for more systems "officially." like it runs fine on Arch but technically isn't supported, and it does hiccup sometimes.
    Improving Linux Gaming: Mainly encouraging devs to make linux a first class citizen through the use of vulkan. Kind of like how star citizen is dropping DX12 and going vulkan only now! go them!

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
      Valves has done more to bring retail games to Linux than anybody before has, so they deserve that respect. I hope one day to finally retire the Windows OS partition on my only PC that still runs Windows for gaming. Next hardware buys will be with Linux in mind. No more SLI for me.
      Not only that, but as a result to Valve's involvement, we have Intel, AMD, and Nvidia who all put more resources into Linux GPU drivers.

Comment

What's been your favorite Steam Linux game?
        Talos Principle

What hopes do you have for SteamOS over the next year or five?
        Valve has done a poor job in marketing and explaining it. It shines as a single target reference platform for game developers: they can target and test on SteamOS and safely ignore the dozens of other Linux-based operation systems. It would then be the responsibility to conform to what SteamOS provides: I think that is the correct and healthiest balance. Unfortunately, Steam Machines made little sense for consumers: yes, it's a very cool idea to play PC games in the living room with a Steam Controller, but Windows would have offered a much better gaming experience at this point in time. So: my hope is that SteamOS gets re-branded as an OS for devs, not for consumers. It has not benefited from this dual role, and perhaps even has given Linux a bad name -- nothing worse than it had before, but still it didn't help us.

What else do you hope they'll do to improve the Linux gaming ecosystem?
        1. The point of pain continues to be GPU drivers. The proprietary-vs.-open-source landscape is confusing. Valve needs to keep pushing GPU vendors for quality open source drivers on Linux. They've had great success in getting the major game engines to support Linux; hope they can work their magic with GPU vendors.
        2. I know this is controversial, but I would very much like Steam on Linux (also Steam on Mac) to incorporate WINE and allow a simple UI allows users to install Windows games and run them on WINE. Just like winedb, users can provide a rating and commentary as to how well games run. This would vastly increase the number of games that can run well -- I know this, because I have Steam for Windows installed on Linux, and many games run perfectly. I know some folk think this is a bad idea because it would discourage devs from porting to "native" Linux, but I insist that we always need to think of gamers first.
        3. Steam on Linux (with proprietary GPU drivers) offers parity with Windows. That's an amazing achievement. However, I wonder what can be done to give Linux features above and beyond what's available in Windows, as a kind of reward for being kewl and cutting edge. It could be entirely marketing related: special discounts for loyal Linux players, special in-game items, etc. Make gamers want to move to Linux.

Comment

I would very much like to thank Value for their continual work on pushing for Linux gaming. Doom 3 was my first push to Linux gaming for me.

Windows is no longer bare metal on my system; only use Windows in a VM for compiling Windows applications; If I want to game with Windows only titles I'll just WINE about it. Since I haven't purchased a Windows only game in over 3+ years, most of my WINE is used for playing older already purchased titles.

BioShock Infinite would be my most played Linux title, next to Half-Life series. About to get into Deus Ex: Human Revolution but have a number to Linux titles yet to take time and play.

PS. 2017 was the first LAN Party, one every year since before 2001, where 95% of games played had Linux support. Other 5% I didn't mind not participating in and took on a solo game for a couple hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ale2695 View Post
            no sign of MS Office official port for Linux right now
            look here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fice.officehub

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Not only that, but as a result to Valve's involvement, we have Intel, AMD, and Nvidia who all put more resources into Linux GPU drivers.
              except nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                except nvidia.
                Is that your opinion or do you have facts to back that up? Despite people's distaste for Nvidia's arrogance, they have taken Linus' criticisms seriously (so they claimed, anyway). They have worked together with Valve for SteamOS-based Steam Machines. They have tried working things out regarding Wayland. They were quick to get Vulkan support. They eventually supported G-sync.

Sure, maybe not all of these things were directly a result to Valve drawing attention toward Linux, but to say Nvidia hasn't increased their Linux attention the past few years is definitively false.

Comment

nvidia does not have linux attention. nvidia ships windows blob on linux. linux gpu drivers are located here http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/log/

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    nvidia does not have linux attention. nvidia ships windows blob on linux. linux gpu drivers are located here http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/log/
                    Alright, well now we established your statement is in fact subjective, so:
                    1. Nvidia does in fact have Linux attention in mesa. Using the link you provided as an example:
                    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...uthor&q=nvidia
                    These are commits involving Nvidia authors.
                    2. Even if there were no results for Nvidia authors, it is known that Nvidia contributes toward the open-source Tegra drivers.
                    3. Suppose Nvidia didn't have anything to do with Mesa or nouveau at all - that still doesn't mean they have no Linux attention. They do have Linux-specific efforts (primarily in their closed-source drivers) which I have linked to in my last post.

Just because you don't like their definition of involvement, that doesn't mean they aren't involved. Note that I am someone who only buys AMD GPUs for gaming purposes, yet I can put my bias aside.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 30 March 2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

5 years later, still no one gives a rats ass 😀

Comment

Working...
                      X