No announcement yet.

The (No) Phoronix Oktoberfest 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Michael, what is it about Bavaria that made you fall in love with it? (Simple curiosity on my part, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that). Do you plan to move there?

Comment

Originally posted by chronowerx View Post
      okay, first post and already a fail: you already wrote that it should be Augustiner Oktoberfestbier. So, the only question remains: how to get it through US customs?
      Getting through US customs isn't too much of a problem, but the shipping costs tend to be costlier :/ Which is why I had just mentioned it about anyone from the US visiting to deal with less shipping costs and headaches.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        "Or any other interesting "fest" beer, I'd grant it too, even if it's a really good American micro-brew."

We have several micro-brews in town. I will email a list to choose from.
        Okay, thanks! Looking forward to it, always enjoy trying new beers (assuming it isn't like one of the shit beer companies )
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Hi Michael, what is it about Bavaria that made you fall in love with it? (Simple curiosity on my part, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that). Do you plan to move there?
          If I stayed single, I would have moved there by now with no doubt. But now settled down in America and having house, wife, dogs, etc, unfortunately not realistic or cost effective to move at this stage.

Bavaria is just the place I've ever felt most happy and excellent in life. From the people to the food to the culture to (yes the beer) to pretty much everything else, from the 20~30 countries I've been to I can't honestly think of a better place where I'd personally be most happy. Munich is phenomenal but the many other places I've been in Bavaria have just been so incredible.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If I stayed single, I would have moved there by now with no doubt. But now settled down in America and having house, wife, dogs, etc, unfortunately not realistic or cost effective to move at this stage.

Bavaria is just the place I've ever felt most happy and excellent in life. From the people to the food to the culture to (yes the beer) to pretty much everything else, from the 20~30 countries I've been to I can't honestly think of a better place where I'd personally be most happy. Munich is phenomenal but the many other places I've been in Bavaria have just been so incredible.
            Interesting. I was born in then-Czechoslovakia, just over the border. West Germany and especially Bavaria was the Holy Grail for most Czech political refugees back then, it was the closest free country (both geographically and culturally) they could wish for.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
              Well if fear of IS and similar ilk keep you from having fun they have already won. Although going through an international airport will also give you that feeling
              You're still talking about yourself. I am talking about Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Interesting. I was born in then-Czechoslovakia, just over the border. West Germany and especially Bavaria was the Holy Grail for most Czech political refugees back then, it was the closest free country (both geographically and culturally) they could wish for.
                Well, though at least from a beer perspective you were born in the beer triangle, Which constists of Czech-Slovak-republic, Saxony and Bavaria.

I also remember the times when suddenly "everyone" went to make holiday on the Balaton, because Hungary had cut some holes in the border to Austria. Well, didn't take long for all the other countries to follow.

@Michael
                Hope you'll have a good afternoon!

> customs
                I wondered already. For one you need to package the bottles really transport-safe (and hope people won't throw the parcel) but I thought alcoholic beverages are often not allowed to cross borders? If that wasn't a problem then it would "just" be reduced to shipment cost which will probably be 20 times the price of the beer, considering my experiences with international shipment of heavier goods.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Similar to last year, unfortunately there is no Phoronix Oktoberfest meet-up in 2016 unlike in a number of years prior
                  man, that's sad … what can we do to make you go there next year?

I'd like to support you financially, but paypal is a PITA. Sometimes I'm sending you some BTC, but that's a bit cumbersome.

Maybe you could set up a simple patreon page, no perks and stuff (well, maybe phoronix premium for those paying enough), where ppl could give you a couple of bucks each month.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    Considering the increased risk of a terror attack on an event big as the Oktoberfest is it simply smart to have a beer at home. Solves the problem of drinking and driving, too.
                    as a German: Always interesting what kind of idiotic stuff you non-Germans write about the situation here.

Or in other words: That's the most retarded statement I ever had to read on this site.

Comment

[QUOTE=Adarion;n898636]
                      Well, though at least from a beer perspective you were born in the beer triangle, Which constists of Czech-Slovak-republic, Saxony and Bavaria.
                      /QUOTE]

No list of beer homelands would be complete without Belgium, Ireland and Corsica

Comment

Working...
                      X