No announcement yet.

Minor Updates To The Phoronix Forums, Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you care about your traceroute being public?

Comment

Originally posted by zx2c4 View Post
      It's also not even a matter of being public, anyone (such as two people did, emailed me the info rather than posted in the forums).
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by zx2c4 View Post
        its the IP i'd be concerned at, sorry but i like my security.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

its the IP i'd be concerned at, sorry but i like my security.
          You realise that you IP in most forums is recorded against the posts you are making...

also, IP addresses are not exactly "private", The same as your street address is not exactly private.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

You realise that you IP in most forums is recorded against the posts you are making...

also, IP addresses are not exactly "private", The same as your street address is not exactly private.
            yes im aware of that, but are you also aware of how to use Proxies/VPN ? prolly not . im pretty sure i could pretend to be living in Melbourne or sydney or america or anywhere else in the world an not use my real IP address to use the forums .

Comment

Then give the proxy / vpn ip to michael... If you don't connect directly to the forum server your ip is of no interest to him.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                By disabling the editing, the problem has gone away.
                Removing features is still the number one way to improve software. :-)

Comment

yes im aware of that, but are you also aware of how to use Proxies/VPN ? prolly not . im pretty sure i could pretend to be living in Melbourne or sydney or america or anywhere else in the world an not use my real IP address to use the forums .
                  You assume way too much. As for needing a proxy or vpn to hide your IP? most Australian ISP's do dynamic IP addresses. If you really cared about masking your IP surely you would be opting for that.

Comment

still Private info Michael, i'd like to think there's people out there that don't know shit of Internet , im one of them,
                    fixed.
                    Seriously, your PUBLIC IP is, well, public. because otherwise the server can't send you anything. Just look at these sites that tell you all the info you leave when connecting to a site http://whatismyipaddress.com/

That said, the public IP is usually dynamic unless you are paying for a static IP, so withing 24 hours your ISP changes your IP anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      [...]That said, the public IP is usually dynamic unless you are paying for a static IP, so withing 24 hours your ISP changes your IP anyway.
                      Yeah that's not true. At least in Germany this _was_ only true for DSL (not cable) but even there it is changing with the upcoming of IP phones etc. Cable ISP always had a static IP in Germany. So the future is static IP addresses for everyone. This will probably become true worldwide as soons as IPv6 is the standard.

But you're still right, it's a public IP

Comment

Working...
                      X