Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't i post in Latest Phoronix Articles

Hello Everyone,

Why can't i post in Latest Phoronix Articles?

Hello Everyone,

I was trying to post this on the recent secure boot key article.

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    Well when secureboot first came out it was accused of being some giant conspiracy to stop PCs from ever running Linux.
    5 years later and dozens of easy successful Linux installs later [long before this hack was announced], that was obviously wrong.

As for preventing boot-level malware, well the vast majority of malware has no need to ever get that low-level in the first place, so we're not really any less secure in the real-world than before secureboot showed up.

In other news, I'd greatly like to see secureboot put onto every Android device in existence. I'd like the so-called "open" Android platform to be just as locked down as all those evil Microsoft PCs so I can actually put a real Linux distribution on it just like the supposedly "locked down" PCs.
    Conspiracy Fact! Secure Boot was meant to stop you from installing other operating systems. This two paragraphs are from microsoft-secure-boot-key debacle.

The design flaw in the Windows operating system can be used to unlock Windows devices, including smartphones and tablets, which are otherwise protected by Secure Boot in order to run operating systems other than Windows on locked down systems.

This, in turn, allows someone with admin rights or an attacker with physical access to a machine not only to bypass Secure Boot and run any operating system they wish, such as Linux or Android, but also permits the installation and execution of bootkit and rootkits at the deepest level of the device, security researchers MY123 and Slipstream revealed in a blog post on Tuesday.

The full article can be found here.

Security failures have created "golden keys" which unlock Windows devices protected by Secure Boot. [Updated]

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      Well when secureboot first came out it was accused of being some giant conspiracy to stop PCs from ever running Linux.
      5 years later and dozens of easy successful Linux installs later [long before this hack was announced], that was obviously wrong.

As for preventing boot-level malware, well the vast majority of malware has no need to ever get that low-level in the first place, so we're not really any less secure in the real-world than before secureboot showed up.

In other news, I'd greatly like to see secureboot put onto every Android device in existence. I'd like the so-called "open" Android platform to be just as locked down as all those evil Microsoft PCs so I can actually put a real Linux distribution on it just like the supposedly "locked down" PCs.
      Conspiracy Fact! Secure Boot was meant to stop you from installing other operating systems. This two paragraphs are from microsoft-secure-boot-key
      debacle.

The design flaw in the Windows operating system can be used to unlock Windows devices, including smartphones and tablets, which are otherwise protected by Secure Boot in order to run operating systems other than Windows on locked down systems.

This, in turn, allows someone with admin rights or an attacker with physical access to a machine not only to bypass Secure Boot and run any operating system they wish, such as Linux or Android, but also permits the installation and execution of bootkit and rootkits at the deepest level of the device, security researchers MY123 and Slipstream revealed in a blog post on Tuesday.

Security failures have created "golden keys" which unlock Windows devices protected by Secure Boot. [Updated]

Comment

@Chukula

Conspiracy Fact! Secure Boot was meant to stop you from installing other operating systems. This two paragraphs are from microsoft-secure-boot-key
        debacle.

Comment

Working...
        X