Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Graphics, RX 480 & Other July Excitement; Did You Notice Something Different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Graphics, RX 480 & Other July Excitement; Did You Notice Something Different?

Phoronix: Linux Graphics, RX 480 & Other July Excitement; Did You Notice Something Different?

As usual, there was a lot of exciting Linux graphics news and benchmarks done, Linux gaming advancements, and other prominent open-source news covered on Phoronix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why yes I had noticed that the number of news articles was not as it had been and I had rightly guessed that you were getting a bit more well earned rest

Comment

I went ahead and pitched in a few dollars there via the plus thing, though it'd be easier to throw a dollar or two a month in via Patreon, I know you already have a bunch of ways to donate...

Honestly though, 246 is more than enough. That's almost enough to earn it a spot in my "noisy sites" rss folder. A lot of things I follow will only post one thing per day or less.

That said, I just put an RX480 into my system. Works well enough. Ran into weirdness though. After the first boot with the 4.7 kernel, it stopped booting up into that kernel at all. Either throws an error about the firmware, or it panics. Oddly enough, I booted into 4.4 again, and the AMDGPU driver is working perfectly under it including 3D and support for all 4 of my monitors. I wonder if Ubuntu backported the RX480 support?
      Last edited by Kazriko; 31 July 2016, 09:45 PM. Reason: RX480 comments.

Comment

You don't need money Micheal, you just need a hug. Unfortunately It's not my policy to give out hugs I'm afraid, sorry.

PS. I'll probably haft to sign up to that premium service soon, starting to feel guilty....

Comment

As I said before, you should look into getting people to write articles for you for free memberships, or as an internship. I can't imagine it'd be that hard to find someone like Eric G again.

I understand you don't have anything to offer in terms of pay, but I think you're forgetting the community these articles appeal to - in the Linux world, doing work for free is not un-heard of.

Comment

I haven't seen anything insightful about the Nvidia driver 367.35 performance anywhere so far. Everyone has just been parroting the release info by Nvidia without actually looking into it, including Phoronix. The change to buffer writes within the driver, which should have been a "low hanging fruit" for every blogger, seems to have fallen right through the centre of this summer hole.

Comment

Don't worry about it, you are doing a good job. You should eventually set some time aside for a vacation so you don't get burnt out.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                I haven't seen anything insightful about the Nvidia driver 367.35 performance anywhere so far. Everyone has just been parroting the release info by Nvidia without actually looking into it, including Phoronix. The change to buffer writes within the driver, which should have been a "low hanging fruit" for every blogger, seems to have fallen right through the centre of this summer hole.
                At least for me the lastest drivers are buggy. Sometimes it stops performing well and I get just 10-25 fps maximum at CS:GO where it normally is 90-120. The same happens with Kicad 3D view so it's not game specific. Closing the 3D view window and reopening it fixes it sometimes (may need multiple tries).

It's too bad that RPMFusion doesn't provide a slightly older driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

At least for me the lastest drivers are buggy. Sometimes it stops performing well and I get just 10-25 fps maximum at CS:GO where it normally is 90-120. The same happens with Kicad 3D view so it's not game specific. Closing the 3D view window and reopening it fixes it sometimes (may need multiple tries).

It's too bad that RPMFusion doesn't provide a slightly older driver.
                  I noticed this as well, i thought it was the game(ns2) maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    I've been working on such tests and will have them out in a day or two.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X