No announcement yet.

I've Had Enough & Today Everyone Has The Phoronix Premium Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just signed up as a recurring member. I think Michael needs to get funded by the Linux Foundation and get some help. 100 hr weeks == flaming out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ericg View Post

I'm still around, DarkFoss. I just haven't been doing as much due to the fact I'm in my last semester of college and desperately trying to find a job!
      That's awesome, Congrats on finishing up collage and G'luck with your job search!
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

• Well, you really did sound quite fed-up this time, Micheal.
        Well mate, I finally decided to really go forward and go for Premium. Suddenly I feel quite proud.

Phoronix Magazine, maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          Michael add a "paypal tip" button on the header of the Phoronix site, right next to the social network share's buttons and the RSS button.

I use private browsing, if I subscribe to phoronix premium, I have to login in the forums to enjoy it?
          Please NOT paypal. I used to use it as a donate button myself but Paypal is basically a big scam. You can get stuck with your money being withheld from you for no reason at all for weeks at a time. Don't force users who want to pay into paypal. Add bitcoin, credit cards or anything, just not paypal!

Comment

• Originally posted by Almindor View Post

Please NOT paypal. I used to use it as a donate button myself but Paypal is basically a big scam. You can get stuck with your money being withheld from you for no reason at all for weeks at a time. Don't force users who want to pay into paypal. Add bitcoin, credit cards or anything, just not paypal!
            I have long accepted Bitcoin as optional means of payment albeit barely anyone uses it compared to PayPal on Phoronix.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Michael,

Have you considered shifting the focus of your website from quantity to quality? Most of your articles are about "project X released a minor new version", or "I ran my benchmarking suite on distribution Y and here are the results" and quite frankly I believe lot of people don't care. I've seen you several times saying that you have to focus on quantity rather than quality in order to make a living but I'm just not convinced by this. I'm really not convinced that writing that many "empty" articles is the only way you can survive financially.

I think LWN is a great example. Once in a while they post a (short) news article, but the real value of their website is their weekly newsletter which is always very interesting, and brings a deep analysis on various topics that you often cannot find anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xelix View Post
                Michael,

Have you considered shifting the focus of your website from quantity to quality? Most of your articles are about "project X released a minor new version", or "I ran my benchmarking suite on distribution Y and here are the results" and quite frankly I believe lot of people don't care. I've seen you several times saying that you have to focus on quantity rather than quality in order to make a living but I'm just not convinced by this. I'm really not convinced that writing that many "empty" articles is the only way you can survive financially.

I think LWN is a great example. Once in a while they post a (short) news article, but the real value of their website is their weekly newsletter which is always very interesting, and brings a deep analysis on various topics that you often cannot find anywhere else.
                For as long as Phoronix is primarily supported by advertisements, that strategy unfortunately doesn't really work out.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post

For as long as Phoronix is primarily supported by advertisements, that strategy unfortunately doesn't really work out.

Could you please explain? You might get fewer articles out, but hopefully more clicks per articles, not to mention they would also be more likely to be linked to by other websites. People would also probably be more likely to donate/subscribe if the quality was higher.

Comment

• Recently, we suffered a widescale malvertising (advertising that has been hijacked or otherwise been compromised to spread malware) in The Netherlands. Affecting numerous high profile, high traffic sites. Honestly, the time for the standard advertisement model is quickly passing; soon, one simply cannot safely traverse the World Wide Web without an adblocker anymore.

Best to just jump ship on the ads beforehand, come up with a new model ahead of time. To avoid having to do it last minute.

Comment

• Michael, I never block ads on Phoronix, but to say "thank you" and to buy you some time, I purchased an annual subscription. However, I think it's fair to say an alternative model will need to be considered. Please don't disregard what people are saying here.

Comment

Working...
                      X