X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, try selling adult toys, it worked for Amazon:

Comment

Originally posted by geoffrey View Post
      But, why do you do this all by yourself? Maybe you can allow other people to post news in their category of expertise?
      I do allow freelance contributors but aside from Eric when he was doing it as a university intern, not many people want to write for free, etc. Advertising revenue is very tight for Linux site hence why can't hire multiple people...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Many ad networks do not allow you to serve in an iframe.
        Ahh, that'd make sense. Wouldn't want to give site owners too much control over their own content's appearance.

Comment

I was considering subscribing. I generally prefer to just pay large one-time fees instead of a subscription, but I think $150 is a little steep for lifetime. That's double what I paid for plex lifetime (when it was $75)!
          Phoronix lifetime is the equivalent of 4.5 years of yearly. I think the lifetime should be around $100

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I do allow freelance contributors but aside from Eric when he was doing it as a university intern, not many people want to write for free, etc. Advertising revenue is very tight for Linux site hence why can't hire multiple people...
            The key is to make it as easy as possible for people to submit content. At https://www.GamingOnLinux.com i have a team of people helping out for free because they love Linux and gaming. For example, on your site I could see no prominent submit article or submit tip link.
            If you make it tough for people to submit articles, they wont bother.
            Also, ive mentioned this to you a few times: drop adverts, use Patreon. Even if you just trial it for a month instead of adverts people can see you tried. Patreon will allow you time off too, since you are not then depending in clicks and views.

This issue with adverts will keep cropping up, and people will continue to block them.

Comment

Well I hope that you can find another intern like Eric. I enjoyed his articles. I think it would be great if you could atleast find the time to take your wife on a couple 2-3 day mini vacations
              during the summer. Life is short and time flies by, Everyone needs those precious stop and smell the roses moments, enjoy life and each others company make some memories together.
              3 years is too long
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Michael. Go and have some R&R with your wife! We will catch up on some of the older articles in the meantime.

Comment

I have been reading articles here for a few years now and use adblock. I attempt to disable it on sites that ask me to, but I end up quickly re-enabling it because they become instantly intrusive most of the time.

With that said, I just became a premium subscriber. I enjoy the articles Michael and after much thought I think you deserve $2.91 per month from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post
                    Create a small section where Companies can post job openings for 100$ a month (just an example), you have many Linux experts on your website
                    This could actually be a good idea. If you look at the business model of a place like authenticjobs.com, it could be workable. There really isn't something out there like that with a focus on Linux.

Usually this sort of business can have a hard time taking off, but you already have a known presence, and a larger readership, many with solid Linux experience.

I'd be more than happy to help develop such a site.

Comment

Michael, after reading your content for some months now (mostly with ads on), the moment of panic when I saw "I've had enough" has convinced me to subscribe.

I'm a web developer and sometimes get ridiculed at work for wanting websites to be able to work without JavaScript. This is a great example as to why. It's not that JS is bad, it's bad when you depend on it and it doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
                      X