No announcement yet.

I've Had Enough & Today Everyone Has The Phoronix Premium Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not surprised that you're burned out.

Please take a vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Michael did you double think about what may happen to your indicization if you enable single page articles to everyone by default?
      I added a check for this premium code today already not to do this mode for google bot.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I added a check for this premium code today already not to do this mode for google bot.
        Beware that Google's bot isn't that happy if you show him different content than your users. It may penalize you.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Beware that Google's bot isn't that happy if you show him different content than your users. It may penalize you.
          True, hadn't thought of that in that regard. so just unconditionally enabled it.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

True, hadn't thought of that in that regard. so just unconditionally enabled it.
            Don't waste your indexing: what I would have done is removing problematics ads from the website AND activating Premium to all *LOGGED IN* users. Such a way unlogged users don't have any issue while still reading the traditional phoronix (and bots can't tell the difference), while everyone who wants to try Premium has simply to log in (and you will probably get some free registrations as side effect ).
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

You might take a page from the book of Dwarf Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157329.0). Specifically, if you post your monthly site income (minus business expenses like hardware/electricity), we would be able to see how far/close to a living wage it gives you. Knowing that might encourage more people to subscribe. They also found Patreon to be helpful in stabilizing their income, though you already have a subscription system, so that might not give you the same benefit.

Comment

Just went from daily lurker to 100-year subscriber. Keep up the good work, Michael!

I'm hoping the game I'm working on, Skyfire, which will release simultaneously on Linux (every prototype already has a Linux version) will rate a news article someday! :-) I find it inexcusable to not release on Linux when you're using a tool like UnrealEngine or Unity that makes it so easy.

Comment

Have you tried serving up each ad in an iframe? (Ideally, with the sandbox attribute containing all allow-* flags except allow-same-origin)

That should allow them to function normally without allowing them to interfere with the main site or do XSS. (You could avoid extra HTTP requests by using the srcdoc attribute along with a polyfill for IE and Edge)
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 07 April 2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Have you tried serving up each ad in an iframe? (Ideally, with the sandbox attribute containing all allow-* flags except allow-same-origin)

That should allow them to function normally without allowing them to interfere with the main site or do XSS. (You could avoid extra HTTP requests by using the srcdoc attribute along with a polyfill for IE and Edge)
                    Many ad networks do not allow you to serve in an iframe.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

But, why do you do this all by yourself? Maybe you can allow other people to post news in their category of expertise?
                      Originally posted by Up123 View Post
                      Create a small section where Companies can post job openings for 100$ a month (just an example), you have many Linux experts on your website
                      That'd be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                      X