I've Had Enough & Today Everyone Has The Phoronix Premium Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've Had Enough & Today Everyone Has The Phoronix Premium Experience

Phoronix: I've Had Enough & Today Everyone Has The Phoronix Premium Experience

Notice something different about your viewing experience today of Phoronix...?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do not like this! At the bottom of every page is Michael's smiling face. Fewer pages per article means fewer views of Michael's smiling face! This will not do!

Comment

This is my main gripe is with web advertisements, not about seeing ads, but when an ad network can't even reliably serve ads! When they either have servers down or they accept ads into their network that aren't even valid snippets of HTML! It's their only job to serve ads and when many of them take ~50% cuts of the revenue, it's my biggest gripe is when they can't behave and just do their job.
      Yep... this is the part that drives me crazy (and made me subscribe to Premium).

I can live with ads, but having to sit and wait for the ad servers gets old very quickly.
      Test signature

Comment

I think advertisers get a slap in their face for being so sloppy. If advertisers are only doing their job delivering advertisers and could care less about HTML5 coding standards, hit them where it hurts.

I don't trust Windows for browsing the Internet as I would use AdBlock for protecting myself against malvertising. Let the advertisers deliver malware if that's what they want.

I will do whatever I can to support you Michael.

Too bad there's been a lot of talk about Microsoft when I was searching for news about Linux in news.google.com and I could care less about Microsoft who partnered with Canonical for getting BASH and a couple of Linux programs working under Windows 10. There's never been a talk about X.Org, Wayland, or GTK+ when I specify "Linux" as a keyword.
        Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 07 April 2016, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Michael did you double think about what may happen to your indicization if you enable single page articles to everyone by default?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Michael add a "paypal tip" button on the header of the Phoronix site, right next to the social network share's buttons and the RSS button.

I use private browsing, if I subscribe to phoronix premium, I have to login in the forums to enjoy it?

Comment

I have been hoping for some time that you should work less on the main Phoronix site and more on PTS/other commercial opportunities. It's not worth getting burned out over, not at all. The overall tone in the community has been constantly getting more and more negative over the years, with the exception of some heroes like bridgman.

Phoronix is still the main place for all things Linux hardware etc., but, and this is a positive thing, some topics just have become less and less relevant over time, because the official communication from many projects has improved (new game announcements), and some subjects have become less interesting (distribution wars).

I'd rather see you completely turn down the amount of content now than watching as it gets worse and worse.

Comment

You know it may also be a good time to find an alternative to vbulletin. Let's face it, this thing is bugged to hell. I have given tips in the past and I do let ads show. The main site is perfectly fine in my opinion, whatever you choose to do I will support. But I would hate to see all the original and varied content go away. If you decide to make original articles premium only, then you'll have to do something about the forum so that only premuim users can see or comment on those threads.

Comment

I don't think focusing on PTS/other commercial oppurtunities might be the answer. You're currently somehow a landmark in the Linux community and losing such a status is only going to hurt you in the long term. Publishing premium only content might be the answer, but I'm pretty sure you will earn less instead of more. Probably something in a middle point might be the answer (some premium only articles with just a short preview which everyone can access or something similar).
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Create a small section where Companies can post job openings for 100$ a month (just an example), you have many Linux experts on your website

Comment

Working...
                    X