Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A One Year Redux On The Basement Computer Room For Benchmarking 50+ Systems Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aht0
    replied
    It's quite impressive. Especially if you did all the 'home improvement' by yourself. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• DrYak
    replied
    Thumbs up for the wife-aproval (it helps that she was herself on the "porcelain tiles improvement" work shift, I guess...)

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Any rack mount kvm/ monitor setup I looked at before was too cost prohibitive for my budget.
    Yup, most of these tend to be specially geared toward business settings, which in turn will dramatically raise up the price.

Speaking of things that are too expensive for you to buy:
    ever considered *crowd funding* a few solar panels ?

I fully understand that the panels are going to be expensive, and not necessarily worth the initial costs. That's why you repeatedly stated that you won't consider them.
    But if you got them without paying them yourself, they might help offseting a few kWh ...

I'm sure some of your readership could spare a few bucks to give you for this goal.
    I certainly would my self.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by ermo View Post
    Have you ever thought about using KVM switches for your racks?

That way you could have one or two monitors per physical rack and not have to worry about having to switch cables around unless you switch out an entire 4U enclosure in any given rack?
    Any rack mount kvm/ monitor setup I looked at before was too cost prohibitive for my budget.

Leave a comment:

• ermo
    replied
    Have you ever thought about using KVM switches for your racks?

That way you could have one or two monitors per physical rack and not have to worry about having to switch cables around unless you switch out an entire 4U enclosure in any given rack?

Leave a comment:

• A One Year Redux On The Basement Computer Room For Benchmarking 50+ Systems Daily

Phoronix: A One Year Redux On The Basement Computer Room For Running 50+ Benchmarking Systems Daily

It was just over one year ago that I wrote about turning a basement into a big Linux server room (and then the six month redux). With having just finished tiling the floor and making some other modifications, here is a one-year look at the project where there are more than fifty systems running Linux/open-source benchmarks daily as part of Phoronix, OpenBenchmarking.org, and LinuxBenchmarking.com, among other Phoronix Media efforts for enriching the Linux hardware experience.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X