Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Linux / Open-Source News & Benchmarking 365 Days Per Year

Phoronix: Writing Linux / Open-Source News & Benchmarking 365 Days Per Year

To the wife on April Fools' Day I told her I was going to take the day off of work... Hah, what a joke. But led me to generate some statistics on the number of Phoronix articles each day and figuring out when was the last time I didn't write an open-source or Linux articles in a given day...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

thanks for giving our daily dose of linux articles since a lot of time

Comment

And more and new to come, thanks for adding price/performance as I, and i suppose others suggested.

And i have other suggestion for a trending topic benchmark, directx games wine vs MS WOS for the budget with a +100 USD GPU (the cost of MS WOS) so more or less a GTX 750 Ti at MS WOS (and wine) vs GTX 960 in wine.

Probably it is better to play Steam games in playonlinux with the GTX 960 than in native MS WOS with the GTX 750 Ti for the same budget.

And you can make more "same budget" MS WOS vs wine (+100 USD GPU) benchmarks and charts also with AMD cards or Intel integrated vs adding a 100 USD GTX 750 Ti.

PS: MS WOS = Microsoft (TM) Windows Operating System
      Last edited by mitcoes; 02 April 2016, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your commitment to writing, reporting, and testing.

It's a leap year, so if you take a day off, you can still say you're committed to "Writing Linux / Open-Source News & Benchmarking 365 Days Per Year."

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
          And more and new to come, thanks for adding price/performance as I, and i suppose others suggested.

And i have other suggestion for a trending topic benchmark, directx games wine vs MS WOS for the budget with a +100 USD GPU (the cost of MS WOS) so more or less a GTX 750 Ti at MS WOS (and wine) vs GTX 960 in wine.

Probably it is better to play Steam games in playonlinux with the GTX 960 than in native MS WOS with the GTX 750 Ti for the same budget.

And you can make more "same budget" MS WOS vs wine (+100 USD GPU) benchmarks and charts also with AMD cards or Intel integrated vs adding a 100 USD GTX 750 Ti.

PS: MS WOS = Microsoft (TM) Windows Operating System
          There are a few Wine-compatible test profiles done by Stefan at CodeWeavers - https://openbenchmarking.org/tests/stefandoesinger

But not many of the tests are really interesting, so first those interested in such tests from the community would need to contribute new test profiles. Once you or others have submitted such test profiles, happy to run the tests.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm not going to slap you on the back and congradulate you for working 365 days a year as I honestly think you are screwing yourself. It might take awhile to realize the benefits but taking a day or weekend off a month, to smell the roses so to speak, will do more for you than you can imagine.

Frankly encouraging your work habits is like encouraging a girl with anorexia to continue her dieting. Eventually that diet catches up with the girl. I just don't want your obsession with working 365 days a year to catch up with you, eventually it will.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              I'm not going to slap you on the back and congradulate you for working 365 days a year as I honestly think you are screwing yourself. It might take awhile to realize the benefits but taking a day or weekend off a month, to smell the roses so to speak, will do more for you than you can imagine.

Frankly encouraging your work habits is like encouraging a girl with anorexia to continue her dieting. Eventually that diet catches up with the girl. I just don't want your obsession with working 365 days a year to catch up with you, eventually it will.
              It's not that I enjoy working 365 days per year, it's that it's tough as it is making ends meet off Phoronix.com with expenses so don't have the leisure of being able to take days off.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

If I started going through every instance where I've seen someone, somewhere, either talk trash about Phoronix (with or without merit) or sort of do an Internet version of an "eye-roll" when Phoronix is mentioned, it'd probably take me 365 days each year to do just that. However, those irrelevant lames don't really appreciate the scope of your service to this burg of the open-source world.

Linux, in and of itself, has/is/always will be a testbed for ideas that has evolved from the tightly-closed box that was UNIX. Having another testbed for its various implementations in order to gauge their performances (whether against each other or other popular operating systems) is a blessing. You provide just that.

Bro, you're awesome. I don't know if your operations are sustainable (both in general and for yourself) in their current state, but I hope the ball keeps moving forward for you.

Comment

I read your articles everyday but even God took a day off so do you and your wife a solid and take a day off now and then it will help re energize you passion and probably get even more traffic to your site as people are hungry for information. Thank you and your wife for all you do.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
                    I read your articles everyday but even God took a day off so do you and your wife a solid and take a day off now and then it will help re energize you passion and probably get even more traffic to your site as people are hungry for information. Thank you and your wife for all you do.
                    Thanks for the kind words.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X